Critique Welcomed Riviera United Methodist Church

I tried to crop the bottom diagonals off by moving the image down in my browser so it gets cut off by the bottom of my screen just above the dark brick which goes from the left side to the right but that didn't seem to help. For some reason I want to eliminate the foreground that is out of square with everything else in the image. Interesting study in black and white angles and perspective.

I tried to crop the bottom diagonals off by moving the image down in my browser so it gets cut off by the bottom of my screen just above the dark brick which goes from the left side to the right but that didn't seem to help. For some reason I want to eliminate the foreground that is out of square with everything else in the image. Interesting study in black and white angles and perspective.
A number of factors conspired and compelled me to frame the image as you see it. First, the church is built on a slight grade running downward from left to right. Secondly I didn't have a wide enough focal length lens to eliminate the grassy verge in the foreground yet still get the entire building into the frame. Finally I had to step slightly onto the roadway to get the entire church, yet there was a car parked in the most inopportune spot; this prevented me from getting the church centered in the frame. (You may have noticed it's not truly symmetrical.)

Exactly how I see religion…
Out of square,...?

But setting my feelings about religion aside, it must have been a difficult shot to get right. Did you have to resort to software trickery to get all the angles ‘right’ or right-angles right? I’m detecting or feeling a bit of tension in it, somehow.

But setting my feelings about religion aside, it must have been a difficult shot to get right. Did you have to resort to software trickery to get all the angles ‘right’ or right-angles right? I’m detecting or feeling a bit of tension in it, somehow.
You're right, Rob. It's actually one of my early attempts at architectural photography. This (as well as the other factors I outlined in my response to Gary) made it a difficult shot to make. Angles were all wrong. Straightened it up with software.

The two canopies are like giant robotic arms reaching out to embrace (or crush) the viewer, depending on their point of view. A very striking image of a rather brutal structure.

My bad regarding the building's architectural style, I'm no expert on these things 🥴. I guess my tastes are more old fashioned ☺️

Back