RPF and Photography related news aggregation

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
Sorry all, maybe a bit of a dull one this, but I thought it about time we got down in black and white what our feelings are toward news aggregation.
It occurred to me that this is probably quite important after first spotting some of Chris Dodkins thoughts being published on scoop.it http://www.realphotographersforum.com/general-discussion/4693-dodkin-scoop.html

You may have noticed that we often post small articles that usually have a picture a small amount of text and a link to an article on another website ... this is effectively news aggregation

If you have a read of our FAQ
You will find that I include a roundabout comment on this as follows:

Many forums and websites don't allow linking to other sites that contain related info, especially when they are links to individuals blogs! This is madness! There are so many people out there with fantastic websites containing fantastic photography related info! We want you to link to these sites, even if they are your own, even if your motives are just to bring some traffic to your site... We don't care, if it is interesting photography related info then fill your boots, link away!

I have the same feelings toward the news aggregation that we do! If I find a link to something interesting and want to share it with the world via the ezine aspect of this website then why not?

Well, I've read that some people don't like aggregation ...
This is mostly caused by the news being passed off as being created by the site that aggregates it.

With this in mind I want to say two things

Firstly - to our members:
If you wish to post a link to a piece of news please follow these basic guidelines
Always link to the source
Always credit the author
Anything this is a quote must be clearly marked with "quotation marks" or
by using the forums inbuilt quote bb tag
Where possible express your own opinion on what you are linking
Also if you can include an image from the source that helps it look interesting when we post it on the ezine

Secondly - to anyone who might have found their content aggregated here:
Anything posted here is done in good faith, we at RPF all like to share interesting things we found around the internet with each other. We also feel that by linking to your content we are in fact doing you a favour...
That said, if you take exception to what we have done please contact me and I will remove it!

For clarification
Real Photographers Forum ezine is both a publisher and aggregation site
All content is manually created by our membership
Content created solely by RPF members can be found in our features section
Content that links to content else where can be found in our links and reference section
Not everything in the links and reference section is aggregated news, much is just links to elsewhere online for reference purposes ... this was one of the reasons behind setting up RPF... to make a useful resource of BOTH onsite content and links to else where!

Last edited by a moderator:
This all sound very fair, sensible, accurate & straight to the point. Many many other website do similar things to this.

Personally i think its a great idea to share this info with others this way and especially if it may be of interest to other forum members

I don't quite see why its so important to clarify this........unless you have had some complaints

Daz

No complaints at all Darren ...

Just making the position clear, stating the party line as it were, getting it down in black and white etc etc

It's important to have these things in place in case there was some misunderstanding at some point, not that I think there will be ... Just making sure :)

Ok by me. I'll try not to break any rules here. This site's too good for me to mess it up.

I think it makes the place more interesting, and a perfect jumping-off point for additional photo sites

It also allows us to share in each others interests and discoveries - it's what the InterTubes are for! :)

Back