Ruined

Martin Carlin

Took the Pentax SP11 out today for a test after having fully repaired and serviced it.
Put in a roll of Kentmere 400 as it was a cheap film. Everything went fine until I tried to put the film on a spiral. Every time I loaded it keep on jamming up 4 times it done this till finally I got it on needless to say the images were ruined scratched to bits. I probably can save about 10 with some work in photoshop.

On the plus side the Pentax seems to be working fine and the light meter seems to be spot on.

SP11_Test-2.jpg SP11_Test-3.jpg SP11_Test-4.jpg SP11_Test-5.jpg SP11_Test.jpg

That's a shame, Martin. Is it a Paterson-style, plastic spiral? I assume it was perfectly dry in which case it was probably caused by residue build-up, especially around the ball bearing. Get some Tarbuster from Nova darkroom and give the spirals a good clean with that. Oven cleaner might work too - I've never tried it.

http://www.theimagingwarehouse.com/ProductGrp/Nova-Tarbuster
Yes Pete it is a plastic spiral. I don't think its residue build up I meticulously clean them after every use. I really think it was the film it self as I have never used it before (ilford Kentmere). It just didn't feel right in the bag if you know what I mean.
The only good thing is the Pentax SP11 seems to be in good shape and metering well.

Scratches dust, does not really bother me Martin, a bit of reality.
When reading it I had the same problem the last time I filled a reel and it was cheap Kentmere. Took several goes, kinks and twists, having to pull it of and fumble about in the bag, so maybe the integrity of the film itself is not so good and an added reason for the price.

Scratches dust, does not really bother me Martin, a bit of reality.
When reading it I had the same problem the last time I filled a reel and it was cheap Kentmere. Took several goes, kinks and twists, having to pull it of and fumble about in the bag, so maybe the integrity of the film itself is not so good and an added reason for the price.
I think you could be right with the integrity of the film then. I felt that it didn't feel right as soon as I unloaded it quite thin and as you say twisting and kinking. Think I will keep away from it in future only bought it to test the refurb cameras.

I don't mind the odd bit of dust and the occasional scratch either but most of the roll is worse than the bottom image.

Hmm, maybe it is a thing of getting used to the film. I use Kentmere a lot but this only happened to me only when I was starting with film developing. Just my 2 cents.

Lines are fine, all the damaged or distressed film look is "in" right now as the kdis would say.

Back