Sailors' Graveyard

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
My friend, Bill Samson, of Broughty Ferry, near Dundee, took me to this hidden old graveyard. It was closed in the 1820s due to an outbreak of cholera. Most of its inhabitants were sailors. Today it is surrounded by housing, and access is only granted by permission of Dundee Council. I had to stand on tip toes, hanging my Hexar over a wall. XP2.

Guid Neebours
by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

I love the idea that the old sailors in this small graveyard now have the company of the living. The graveyard almost takes on a courtyard feel. In the circumstances that you outlined Rob and what looks like tricky enough lighting conditions you ended up with a very good result.

Cheers, Brain. Aye, that's the message ;)

Cheers, Tom. The photo reveals far more than I could see at the time. I'm glad it came out half decent. I wonder what the living neighbours feel about it. Could be a nice courtyard...but I'm glad the council have kept it.

Edit - I've called you Brain again, you smart man!

Last edited:
I wish I was a poet. When I look at an image like this, I feel a desire to encapsulate it in a few choice words. It would be nice to work with a poet on a project.

I really like this Rob. Not only is is a great record of an interesting place but the gravestones and the windows work so well together.

Somewhere I have a monograph of images to which Terry Jones has added poems and prose. It works well. It was produced in very low numbers - I'll see where it is and try and find a link describing it.

This picture of seamens graveyard Rob is very well done and I do realise it must have been in close quarters so to speak. It also reminds me of one of mine done in Denmark from a seamens cemetary facing the ocean. The only thing in common is that they are seamens last resting place.

Back