SD Card Failure - help required

Chris Bennett

I have a card which is causing my camera to show an error message. There are some images on there that I want to recover, as it failed while I was out snapping.
I've tried the few simple things I can think of to get at the contents but with no luck so far. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to salvage something from this. I need some help, even if it is only to be told I'm wasting my time and should just sling it in the bin.

It's a cheap card (branded Integral), as I needed to buy one in a hurry one day recently when I was out and found that the card I thought I had with me was still nestled in my laptop's card reader slot back at home. To complicate things, all that was available at the time was a micro SD card and adaptor.

It worked OK at the time and so it stayed in use for a while, performing just fine.
At the weekend, I was happily snapping away & then the error message just appeared, so it isn't associated with taking it in or out of the camera or a card reader etc.

I tried putting it into another adapter that I know to be working - no good.
When I put it into my laptop card slot, the usual SD external drive icon appears, complete with the usual drive letter allocated to it, but when I select it, I am told to insert a card into the drive, so I am guessing that the camera isn't at fault (confirmed since then by successfully mounting and using a different card in the camera).

I checked everybody's favourite search engine (Go Ogle) to see if there might be a way to recover the images and I became deluged by the world and his wife offering a million different suggestions, none of which I fully trust.

If there are several things to try, I obviously want to try the one which is potentially the least disastrous if things go wrong.

So, with that, does anyone here on RPF have any suggestions for how I should proceed?

Thanks in anticipation.

Pete, no I haven't tried cleaning the contacts. I should have thought of that, shouldn't I?! Maybe it was in the back of my mind that it's only a couple of months old, so it should be OK. But, yes, of course I shall give it a go.

Do you think the software you linked to will be OK on an off-brand card? I didn't know about this type of thing - interesting. However, I'm not sure the images I want to recover are worth that sort of money to me! If you do have an unused code knocking around, that would be fantastic.

I shall try cleaning first though. Thanks a lot.

John, thank you for that.
I took a look at the site, thought I would give it a go.

I downloaded the software and ran it. It recognised it and identified its capacity, which Windows and the camera were unable to do.

High hopes then!

I got it to scan the card and it found nothing recoverable.
Back to square one.

But thank you very much, John, for your advice.

Back