Sigma Merrills 1 & 3 Print Quality

Mick Howe

Here's one for you sigma users out there, I've had my sigmas for just over a year now and I love them quirks and all that goes with them, but and here's the rub what's the point of having them or any camera really, that delivers good quality if you cant print big. My printer is a all in one Canon MG 7550 A4 and I only use it for printing B/W and very good it is too, so what do I do if I want big "prints", well that's where Lidl steps in yes that's right Lidl. It was a friend of mine who put me on to them, he had sent the same images to Lidl & Aldi, Aldi only do gloss but Lidl do matt and gloss, and the quality of the B/W well to say I was impressed was an understatement to say the least. In the end I went for Lidl to see what there matt was like, the matt is like a fine lustre satin finish, so I put my order in 75mmx50mm= 29"x 19" = £4.99 and one for 60mm x 40mm=23" x 15"= £3.79 plus postage I think is £2,56 ish. The two images below are the ones I had printed, the Life on the edge St Abbs is the 75mm x 50mm and Threlkeld Quarry is 60mm x 40mm, I know you can't appreciate an image till you see one in your hand, so if you fancy it just download there software and give it ago for the price what you got to lose.

MickLife on the edge (St Abbs).jpg Life on the edge (St Abbs)
Threlkeld Quarry (Lake District).jpg Threlkeld Quarry (Lake District)

Good post, Mick. The images are excellent, and the info re Lidl is (almost) priceless. There must be a Lidl in Edinburgh somewhere, but I've not seen it. I'll have a search.

PS You've managed the image uploads perfectly - well worth clicking on too.

Good post, Mick. The images are excellent, and the info re Lidl is (almost) priceless. There must be a Lidl in Edinburgh somewhere, but I've not seen it. I'll have a search.

PS You've managed the image uploads perfectly - well worth clicking on too.

Hi Rob, You don't need to find a Lidl, just download there software and order from there the prints upload to there site in Germany and takes about 6 working days to get back to you, so if you upload on a Friday you should get them back before then the following week. What you do if you want the full image size you put a white border round say 2 inches and then put a black border around via PS edit:...stroke...then put amount in about 20 pixel black and on the inside......not centre or outside. This because if you don't they will cut into your image, make sure there adjustment box is unchecked as you have all ready done your pp.
Hope you give it a go for the price it's well worth it.

Thanks Mick, I'll also look into Lidl for printing although I am more fond of small prints. We have a small shop here which I have to say provides superb warm to the hand freshly baked Ciabatta bread. Scrumptious.

Here's one for you sigma users out there, I've had my sigmas for just over a year now and I love them quirks and all that goes with them, but and here's the rub what's the point of having them or any camera really, that delivers good quality if you cant print big. My printer is a all in one Canon MG 7550 A4 and I only use it for printing B/W and very good it is too, so what do I do if I want big "prints", well that's where Lidl steps in yes that's right Lidl. It was a friend of mine who put me on to them, he had sent the same images to Lidl & Aldi, Aldi only do gloss but Lidl do matt and gloss, and the quality of the B/W well to say I was impressed was an understatement to say the least. In the end I went for Lidl to see what there matt was like, the matt is like a fine lustre satin finish, so I put my order in 75mmx50mm= 29"x 19" = £4.99 and one for 60mm x 40mm=23" x 15"= £3.79 plus postage I think is £2,56 ish. The two images below are the ones I had printed, the Life on the edge St Abbs is the 75mm x 50mm and Threlkeld Quarry is 60mm x 40mm, I know you can't appreciate an image till you see one in your hand, so if you fancy it just download there software and give it ago for the price what you got to lose.

MickView attachment 13115 Life on the edge (St Abbs)
View attachment 13117 Threlkeld Quarry (Lake District)
Very good images, I really am convinced that Merrills are great for thos who have the time:D

Back