Sinopah Sunrise - Glacier National Park

Ralph Thornton

Last summer was fairly wet in Montana. September, usually a dry and fairly warm period highlighted by blue skies, was just as nasty. But things dried up and got warmer in late September and October, just when we usually expect our first winter type weather.

I camped in the Two Medicine Valley of Glacier National Park on the first weekend in October last year. My favorite capture of the weekend was this one looking across Pray Lake toward Sinopah Mountain just after sunrise.

2568-sinopahsunrise.jpg

Here's another view from the same spot but different comp. It's well after sunset and made the evening before the first photo in this thread. Sinopah is on the right in this view.
Just in case anyone's interested: Canon 5DMKII, Canon 28-70 f2.8 L at 34mm and f2.8, 15 seconds.

2547-starsoversinopah.jpg

Last edited:
Ralph - great images, love the colours in #1 - Did you have to post process the reflection at all to make it brighter?

Love the night shot with the milky way - what ISO were you using?

Ralph - great images, love the colours in #1 - Did you have to post process the reflection at all to make it brighter?
Love the night shot with the milky way - what ISO were you using?
Thanks Chris,
The night shot was at ISO 1600 and the RAW file was boosted 1 stop in exposure. I might have done some noise reduction with Noise Ninja but can't remember.

Sinopah Sunrise was shot as a RAW file and I made three tiff files at slightly different exposures. I combined those with Bracketeer to produce the primary file.

I just received a 16" by 24" print of Sinopah Sunrise and really like how the image came out. I'll frame one for a fund raising auction that will be held in September.

Back