Slide film, for a change

Julian Tanase

Shot two rolls of slide film, an Ektachrome E100 and Elitechrome 100, in my recent trip to Italy. The last I used slide film in my cameras was in the very early 90s. To be honest I wanted to see if the magic of the colour slide film is still there. Not the same feeling like the Kodachrome 25 from back in the day, but I like these. They give some, I don't know, deeper feeling, different from the usual colour negative shots.

Camera used was Nikon F2 Photomic, film Kodak Ektachrome.

slideekt (1).JPG

Last edited:
Ah, K25....🤩 wonderful stuff. I hate to think, though, what a roll of that would cost today if Kodak were still making/processing it...

Interesting Julian. I recently digitised some Fuji for a friend which had more natural colour in the best results but fearsome contrast and less than good light introduces a purplish cast. These have slight casts too but different. I used a lot of K25 and I think it gave much truer colour. As to cost Gary - who knows. Reversal plus processing is getting to be a very expensive item, certainly down here in the Antipodes.

Those are great, Julian.
Personally I always thought that Kodak slide emulsions always had a blue cast. Back in the day I was a devotee of Agfa CT 18. I loved the staturated colours it was capable of producing and have often thought of doing a 'retrospective' featuring it.

Come to think of it, I used to print them using the Cibachrome process. Does anybody remember that I wonder?
Those were the days!

I used Agfa too Peter and printed with Cibachrome. It was easier than C41 but the contrast was hard to handle. Casts are usually slight and unless seen side by side as here would not be really noticed I think.

We had a little slide show a few months back, first time in decades. Being so used to brightness of computer monitors, hd tv screens etc, I'd forgotten how relatively dim my little projector is with it's fairly standard 150W halogen lamp. There's still a certain magic to a projected slide, though (for me, anyway).

I know what you're saying, Ralph, and you are correct. Slide shows when I was a kid was something like magic, and I do recall the colours being somewhat ... washed (?) for lack of a better word. Well, perhaps not washed, but more natural.
Especially when you're all sat comfy and engrossed in what's on the screen and someone comes in to the room from elsewhere in the house and floods the room with light, breaking the 'spell' lol.
Seriously, though, the projected image can be very good indeed.

Shot two rolls of slide film, an Ektachrome E100 and Elitechrome 100, in my recent trip to Italy. The last I used slide film in my cameras was in the very early 90s. To be honest I wanted to see if the magic of the colour slide film is still there. Not the same feeling like the Kodachrome 25 from back in the day, but I like these. They give some, I don't know, deeper feeling, different from the usual colour negative shots.

Camera used was Nikon F2 Photomic. The first shot is Ektachrome, the second Elitechrome.

View attachment 20432

View attachment 20433
Wonderful pictures and yes the first one has a bluish cast, but not enough to ruin a good image.

Slide film does have a different ‘look’ doesn’t it. I used to shoot Agfachrome (and the film from Ilford) back in the 80s and early 90s and liked the saturated warm tones too. I switched to Fuji, but was never as fond. We used that and Ektachrome for work and used Cibachrome for prints. It has been a long time since I last used slide film though, but I bet there’s some lurking in one of the fridges! I still have a lot of slides and projectors still and I’ve only scanned a few.

Nice shot by the way! :)

Back