Critique Welcomed Smokestacks (not!)

Brian Moore

I suppose it may look as if that second funnel is emitting steam or gas or something, at least it does to me. But it's not. That's actually just a cloud above the funnel. These funnels are mere air vents at the north end of the underground portion of Highway 99 in Seattle. There is an identical set of funnels at the south end of the tunnel.

Infrared with Sigma Quattro SD, Sigma 30/1.4 and Hoya R72 filter.

Great shot, your choice of ange makes for a most unusual image, works very well.
It does indeed look like smoke / steam emerging from the chimneys (or from the barrels! :eek:). I do like those textures too, especially on the barrels!

Thanks you both Dave and Pete. Much appreciated.

That ethereal glow to the lower stacks is fantastic Brian, very crisp capture at an angle that makes me feel like I'm witnessing the start of a dystopian film.

That ethereal glow to the lower stacks is fantastic Brian, very crisp capture at an angle that makes me feel like I'm witnessing the start of a dystopian film.
Wes your observation about the dystopian quality of this image is meaningful. I posted an image a couple of years ago of Paisley Abbey at night. (It's here if you're interested: http://www.realphotographersforum.com/forum/threads/paisley-abbey-at-night.23724/) Anyway, Chris Dokin, a fine photographer, and an RPFer in good standing at the time though I do not think he has visited much recently, pointed out that such an angled image is called a "Dutch Tilt" in cinema. It is often used to add tension. Since then I have occasionally shot images at an angle more deliberately and unnecessarily, which is the case here. (The angle of my Paisley Abbey image was necessitated by the fact that the only stable substrate I could find to steady my camera for a long exposure and still allow a half-decent framing happened to be angled. :rolleyes:)

Back