Critique Welcomed Some experiments with a Meyer Oreston at night

Wes Hall

Taken on a nightly wander through the city streets, I'm enamoured with the renders these older lens produce. These do have some post processing to adjust exposure and contrastBlue moon web.jpg Leonardini.jpg Etna.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely stuff, Wes. Gorgeous colour rendition in all three shots and very film-like contrast and overall look. I very much like the colour contrasts in the first and both the framing in the second as well as the colours at the bar. Do you know the gentleman in the third? A fine portrait given a nice edge by the juxtaposition of the intolerances notice: he looks like he could quite easily be! ;)

He was a stranger who happened to be casting a fine pose whilst being nicely tolerant, despite that stern expression :D. Thanks for the opinions shared on the others. These were my three favourite shots of the night- the blue illuminated seating at a local Thai restaurant is seeding an idea I may have to explore- I'm fond of blue lighting and the way it sets a mood.

Good shots, Wes. I like the first a lot. I struggle with colour myself, usually shooting b&w, so when I use colour I like the image to somehow be about colours, and your first picture seems to be along those lines.

Thank you Rob, I actually feel similar and started to veer towards monochrome pics as I found the shots I took in colour to be too busy and off-putting. Then I started to explore night photography which has adjusted my perspective somewhat . If contrast is to your taste, I would suggest giving it a go.

Back