Southern Jessiecrow

:) It's nesting time, I see. We are watching the daily exploits of two blue tits, as they try to make up their minds re the suitability of the bird box nailed to our garden wall. No crows allowed...

This is really nice, Dave. (Are we looking at three nests,...two larger on the right and the small one in the center?) By the way I tried googling "Southern Jessiecrow" but no birds came up. Is there another name for it?

What a wonderfully graphic image, Dave.

Ina feeds the local pair of crows on the flat roof that once can access from the attics. Being city crows, brought up on a diet of discarded Doner Kebaps they have a preference for cheap, white sliced bread and cheese trimmings. Anything healthy they leave for the local gang of Magpies. The two of them are usually sitting waiting in the mornings and we have set up a camera so we can watch their antics, such as dunking the bread in the water bowl to soften it before eating it.

This is really nice, Dave. (Are we looking at three nests,...two larger on the right and the small one in the center?) By the way I tried googling "Southern Jessiecrow" but no birds came up. Is there another name for it?

Brian, a "southern jessie" is a mild insult used by people from the north of the UK towards southeners who complain when it gets a bit cold or a couple of inches of snow fall.
Yes, three nests in the shot. That copse of trees is full of nests, the crows make a lot of noise when anyone walks past them.

Brian, a "southern jessie" is a mild insult used by people from the north of the UK towards southeners who complain when it gets a bit cold or a couple of inches of snow fall.
Yes, three nests in the shot. That copse of trees is full of nests, the crows make a lot of noise when anyone walks past them.
Thanks for the explanation, Dave.

Now I see the bird. It’s dead center. Missed it on first look. Actually I thought it was a small nest.

Back