Critique Welcomed St Andrews, Maffra

Stevenson Gawen

This wasn't a planned shot - I was just on my way into town, keeping an eye out for images, but it was midday so wasn't expecting much. But I liked the play of light and shadow around this church. Not on my usual route so I don't pass it regularly, but every now and then. I should really try an evening or early morning version when I get a chance, as the lighting is rather harsh in this one.

It's a lovely spot - completely alone on a hilltop, without another building for miles.

IMGP0806_pano.jpg

This was the Pentax K10d again, with the 50mm SMC f1.7, but it's a crop from a 3-row panorama (because I didn't have a wider lens with me).
My usual stitching tool, Microsoft Image Composite Editor couldn't quite manage this one - I think I didn't have quite enough overlap and it left an unsightly joint over the roof.
This version was done with a new free app, Xpano, which did a perfect job of the stitching, but left a slight 'tonemapping-ish' effect on some parts of the image. I don't know whether it's a bug, sideeffect or user error at this point. But works OK I think. :)

Sometimes the joy of viewing reduced size images like on this forum, I hadn't seen the issues you mentioned above Stevenson, and the church stands proud.

Reading your remark about mid-day photo opportunity, I'm a fan of shots achieved during the high sun- it allows some creative filter use and as you highlight, strong contrast with lighting.

Sometimes the joy of viewing reduced size images like on this forum, I hadn't seen the issues you mentioned above Stevenson, and the church stands proud.

Reading your remark about mid-day photo opportunity, I'm a fan of shots achieved during the high sun- it allows some creative filter use and as you highlight, strong contrast with lighting.
Yes, it's not really obvious... see the tree trunk partly in front of the left hand side of the church? Around halfway up it's brighter in the middle than the edges - not s'posed to be! It's like a rather clumsy attempt to raise the shadows, yet not all over the image. Has me puzzled.

I've left some feedback to the creator of the app on a forum, but I don't think he's seen it yet - must be busy.

I struggle with mid-day light, but I do think it just needs the right subject and approach. Now filters, never really done much with them. I do have a polariser somewhere but don't even know if it fits any of my current lenses!

Back