Suggest a new camera

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
not for me, but for Rhona, my daughter. She will be going to Goldsmiths after the summer to do a Design degree. There are of course different aspects to design, and at Goldsmiths they concentrate more on the artistic, blue-sky, conceptual side of things. Rhona, in her art work and design, likes to get inspiration from nature: flowers, plants, bark, etc, but also from land and seascape formations.

She doesn't at all like using my Merrills :)

Currently she has a Canon 1100D with the basic 55-90 zoom lens, now scratched over its glass surface!

I'm contemplating treating her to a new camera during the summer, budget up to £1000, though she might add more of her own savings. It has to be digital. She is contemplating going to Berlin at the end of July for a 12-day course in digital photography at an International summer school. So, she seems keen on it.

Maybe she just needs better and more appropriate lenses for her 1100D? Or maybe a fresh start with a smaller system would be better.

Your thoughts, appreciated...

A hard choice me thinks. At first i thought the merril's until you mentioned Rhona not liking them. I'd thought the'd be super cool for a student, but what do I know about being super cool. Nowt probably.
The GH3 had been brought up, I was thinking along those lines of micro four thirds. Having had the EM-5 that system does have superb lenses, the largest choice from all mirrorless systems and the system's lens are very small as well, as against all the Fuji and sony's where the lens's are all DSLR size.
Have you looked at the Olympus OM-D EM-10 , I believe it has the same Sony 16MB sensor as the EM-5 , with the one difference it has 3 way in body stabilisation rather than five way. By all accounts a superb camera. £700 with two lenses, not sure how good those two lenses are. But body only maybe, and the new 12-40 f2.8 is expensive but meant to be stellar from their pro line. http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/ca...0-camera-with-14-42mm-ez-40-150mm-lenses.html

The OM-D EM-5 is the old model which I have but one up from EM-10 and goes for around £500 body only, half price from new i believe.
The video is not up to the standard of the panasonics though. If Rhona does need to do serious video, at your price the GH3 is where it is at. The new GH4 does 4k but not needed and the GH3 is used professionally for video.

As Pete mentioned the Sony A7 series, expensive but you could sell a guitar or two :D

Back