Suggestions for medium format camera

David Mitchell

Hi all,

I have just been looking around at different films after seeing some nice shots with some XP2, I had a look at some Ilford Pan F plus @ ISO 50 (I like slower films lol). I will probably get myself some 35mm Pan F as my next selection of film once I run out of the basic poundland stuff (although its doing pretty good).

After seeing the below image which is shot on some 120 Pan F I am thinking about looking into a medium format system of some sort. I do have a few medium format cameras already, however these usually have uncoated lenses or have little in the way of settings (perfect for creating an 'older' looking image, but not ideal when wanting some sharpness).

Here is the image of some quartz I found on Flickr:

8638982574_0c4b33b17e_c.jpg

After shooting that building with the poundland film and enjoying shooting landscapes around Matlock I enjoy the sharpness and detail of the image. Also seeing the set that Chris did for the 'Hotrod and custom' images on the 'blad I really enjoyed the cleaner image.

I am therefore looking for suggestions around getting a decent (although not mega expensive) medium format camera/system. I don't think I could afford a 'blad but I like the fact you can change roll film backs over and the quality of the product. I have heard that the Kiev 88 was also an option as a Russian copy which seems to be ok, what else should I look at? I am in no rush for it and want to consider my options, but hopefully will be able to use it over the summer when its stopped raining/snowing/arctic weather.

As its black and white I can develop it myself which I am planning to work towards soon, my photo scanner is fine for medium format as well which is a plus. I am aware that I can't simply re-add colour in, however I can always take another roll film back with colour film in if I feel that I want a certain shot in colour rather than on the Pan F.

I am basically looking for something that there are lots of options for, so probably a modular system would be ideal although I know there are a few 'camera looking' medium format cameras that are good. I might be tempted with a TLR but having a decent lens on it would be key - unless you can get interchangeable lens TLRs!

Anyhow, what should I look at/cost up/save for?

Consider a Pentax 67. In its day, it was considered great value for the money. Looks and handles like an overweight 35mm SLR. Wide variety of lenses at reasonable prices—very much a system camera with interchangeable viewfinders, grips and so on. With a 6×7 format, you rarely need to waste negative space if you are printing rectangles. The only reason I did not have one, is that fill flash in sunlight was necessary for much of my work, which was mostly in the sub-tropics with the sun high overhead casting deep shadows on faces. I needed to be able to sync flash up to 1/500th of a second. It will only sync at something like 1/30th of a second or slower. All my medium format lenses have leaf shutters built in, and thus are way more expensive than the Pentax lenses.

I also used a Graflex XL system which is totally modular. No idea of availability. Many classic lenses as well as cheaper and more obscure lenses. Rangefinder and view-camera ground-glass focusing. Relatively light weight for hand-held shooting. Roll film, sheet film, and Polaroid backs. Roll film backs in 6×6, 6×7 and 6×9 formats. Since they are interchangeable, you could swap between films and formats at any time. The main body style had a built-in rangefinder/viewfinder, but there were two other bodies that had none. One was the same thickness, and a second was thin, for superwide lenses. The latter would take a 47mm SuperAngulon and would cover the full area of the Polaroid. I was so modular, that could could pretty much cobble together whatever kind of camera you needed to do the job.

I was looking at the Pentax 67, seen a few of them with the added wooden handle on, basically a 35mm SLR on steroids lol

I have also had a think about perhaps a TLR, I initially discounted them as they are usually much older and the lenses aren't as good but then found that some of the later ones were actually pretty good. I won't be doing any close up work, will be landscapes and buildings basically, I will also check out the Bronica as well, just need to make sure that whatever I get has a selection of lenses that aren't super expensive. I think I saw a Pentax 67 where the lens was more than the body, grip and accessories put together lol. I'm in no rush, might get myself some XP2 35mm film which I can get developed quickly locally as its C41, might then move to Pan F and medium format black and white when I get developing myself.

Random change of subject(ish)
How is your poundland film coming on? I don't think we've seen any images from them recently. Or have we?? ,'/

Random change of subject(ish)
How is your poundland film coming on? I don't think we've seen any images from them recently. Or have we?? ,'/

Only the 1 roll through so far, just checked my film store and I have 1 more roll left (will probably get some more in the next few weeks). I haven't been able to get out shooting much at the moment as its either been raining, snowing, super cold or I have been needing to sort out a few house bits as I will be moving house soon.

I do now have an uber cheap 28mm lens though, Nikon mount, just tested it on the D3100 (giving it around a 42mm equivilent) but will be probably running a roll through perhaps over the weekend(s), will test out the new lens and see what its like.

I still have 2 more rolls of Kentmere 400 35mm and 5 rolls of 120 Delta 400 but they have loooong dates on them lol I found the Kentmere a bit grainy for my liking and I haven't really put the delta 400 into a camera younger than about 60 years old lol so I can't tell how good that film is with the softer lenses.

I was looking at the Pentax 67, seen a few of them with the added wooden handle on, basically a 35mm SLR on steroids lol

A place I worked had one. It was mostly used by the boss for aerial photography, but I did check it out a few times. It handled very well for a large camera. I never bought one, but it was always on my short list if needed.

I have also had a think about perhaps a TLR, I initially discounted them as they are usually much older and the lenses aren't as good but then found that some of the later ones were actually pretty good. I won't be doing any close up work, will be landscapes and buildings basically,

Early in my working life, I shot with Rolleis and disliked them immensely. Like taking pictures holding a brick. If your eye was where your belly-button is, the view would look natural. There were no pentaprisms, so you did all your shooting looking downward. Excellent optics for the time, but a loathsome design. I tended to use the frame for composition, and editors hated my square images.

I will also check out the Bronica as well, just need to make sure that whatever I get has a selection of lenses that aren't super expensive.

My Bronica ETR was a long time workhorse, but I did not mention it, since it is a 645, only three times the image area of 35mm, and the lenses all have leaf shutters built in, so were more expensive. It is a lovely compromise—higher quality images than 35mm, in a body that is not a lot larger. It also shoots a rectangular image. Clients and editors loved it.

I think I saw a Pentax 67 where the lens was more than the body, grip and accessories put together lol. I'm in no rush, might get myself some XP2 35mm film which I can get developed quickly locally as its C41, might then move to Pan F and medium format black and white when I get developing myself.

Pentax built a substantial range of focal lengths, from a 35mm fisheye to a huge 800mm telephoto. So yes, some of the lenses can be way more expensive than cameras—Nikon just came out with an 800mm lens for six times what I paid for my D700. Compared to other medium format lenses of similar coverage, Pentax lenses have always been very affordable. Unlike 35mm, you don't need in-between focal lengths, since you have a huge image area for cropping. You can do a whole lot of photography with a 50mm, 100mm and 200mm and may never need anything more. (Focal lengths approximate.) In fact, you can do a lot with just a normal lens in the 90-105mm range.

Here is a selection of used lenses with US prices.
Used Lenses| B&H Photo Video

Thanks again Larry :) this is why I love this forum :D I will look at getting a Pentax 67 then as I can simply treat it as a large 35mm camera. I did hear that some TLRs had pentaprisms so you could use them much like an SLR however I can see why things moved towards a single lens - also nice to check the DoF before you press the shutter.

Just looking at the photo of the camera below it looks a beautiful camera with the added wooden grip - one reason why I am looking at a wooden tripod is the fact that if its cold outside its not going to be cold to the touch.

pentax67a.jpg

I will start saving for it this year, now that I have the house deposit out the way I can have a look at something nice to purchase after spending the last few years basically buying things that I 'need' rather than 'want' with a few exceptions along the way.

Just seen a used one with a 105mm lens but no handle for around the £400ish mark, might look at buying a body only and then save for a lens - theres a lot of extra glass compared to a 35mm camera! I can buy a Kiev 88 for around the £200 mark lol :D

Will carry on with 35mm for the time being though :)

Yeah I will check out the RB67s in a bit, I have a bid on a Pentax 67 at the moment, although I doubt I will win it as the newer 67II goes for just over a grand lol.

I did look at perhaps a Kiev 88, however I know that there are a few issues with them so will see if I get the Pentax 67, Ted Forbes just uploaded a video on medium format and there was a Pentacon six which would be good.

<cough> Blad </cough>

Zeiss glass - coated and everything - killer system

<cough> Blad </cough>

Zeiss glass - coated and everything - killer system

*coughs some more*.....*hopes money comes out* lol I would love a Blad but can't really justify the large extra cost of the system at the moment. I will see what happens with the Pentax 67 which I think ends today, if I don't get it I will hold off for a bit and save up for a Blad, I guess I could always buy the sections separately ie buy the body one month, film back the next month etc etc

Luckily I was outbid on that Pentax 67, although it did have all the upgrades its probably not the best time for me to buy something costing that much lol.

I will carry on shooting small format below for a while, will shoot some medium format as well but not buy a professional grade medium format camera until probably later in the summmer.

Back