Suggestions on budget HiFi or Bluetooth speaker?

Stevenson Gawen

I know this is way off topic - but that's the idea in this section right? ;)

I'd like to get something to plug/stream my phone into. That's louder than headphones but sounds decent. Probably a bluetooth speaker, but considering an older hifi of some kind too.
Ideally portable enough to be able to lug it out to the garage/kitchen/whatever on occasion, but doesn't have to be battery powered.
And ideally under £60 or so. 😄 Although I might stretch to 100...

At home in Australia I have a small pair of M-Audio monitors with built in amps. They're good, although I never quite loved them, but definitely decent. They obviously didn't come along in the suitcase though...

Most of the bluetooth speakers I've looked at easily shoot over that price, while (sometimes) sounding like the lumps of plastic they are. (OK, that's a bit unfair!).
I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I've realised I do pick holes in the cheaper speakers sound quality pretty easily... I like to turn it up a bit and many of the modern bits of tech just sound nasty. The high frequencies especially on some.

Any thoughts? Even considering an old micro component system...
Just hoping someone may know of an unrecognised wonder that I could find secondhand.

Hm. Been looking around online. Currently looking at a nice pair of Wharfedale Diamond 210 speakers for £50 and... maybe... and maybe a little Technics HD 50 amp/receiver combo for £10? Bit mismatched but at least the speakers seem to have a good reputation.

It's kind of throwing the portability factor out the window a though. ;)

Stevenson I have had a Bose Soundlink for a few years. I'm happy with it. It seems to give me decent sound. (I'm no audiophile, though, so others may be more critical of its sound than I.) It's very portable.

Thanks Brian, that one looks interesting actually. I hadn't really considered the Bose range expecting them to be too expensive, but the Soundlink is kind of ok.

I've spent a couple of hours today researching older stuff, only to have a reality check set in - I just can't buy bigger equipment at present. I'm living with relations who may be moving soon, so any chunky stuff will just be a pain. 🤔

Thanks Brian, that one looks interesting actually. I hadn't really considered the Bose range expecting them to be too expensive, but the Soundlink is kind of ok.

I've spent a couple of hours today researching older stuff, only to have a reality check set in - I just can't buy bigger equipment at present. I'm living with relations who may be moving soon, so any chunky stuff will just be a pain. 🤔
Like I said I've had mine for a few years so its probably the first version of this speaker. Its dimensions are 5 x 5.5 x 2 inches.

Thought I should give an update on this ... so I bought something! 😄 Namely a second hand Addon C5 from Swedish company Audio Pro.

First impressions - so far the only downside is that it makes everything sound like a special occasion or live concert - great but a little distracting. 😄

I like its appearance too. This model doesn't have a battery so it's only semi portable but I'm happy with that.IMG_20240612_091700.jpg

Last edited:
Back