Critique Welcomed Sunrise, January 28, 2022

Brian Moore

Due to the Sun's orbit around the Earth, much of the year I cannot see the sunrise. Spring and Summer for example, sunrise is obscured to me by the hills to my left (and conversely the setting Sun is obscured by the hills to my right). But come the Autumn the Sun's orbit carries it into view, and it marches progressively closer to my front, morning-by-morning, as Winter approaches.

On January 28 I was sitting with a cup of coffee and glanced up to see what you see here. (Well,...not exactly what you see here; I made this image with the long end of a 270mm telephoto.) Not 10 minutes earlier the sky had been clear--albeit of a wonderful marmaladian tone--but for a wispy haar floating languorously over the sea.

The mountains behind which the Sun is rising here are the Northern Cascades.

Canon 7D and Tamron 18-270.

What a scene to enjoy a cup of coffee with. Beautiful image.
Thank you John.
You mentioned two of my favourite things, Brian: harr and marmalade! Both of which combine to make this a beautiful image. Congratulations.
They call it a sea fog round these parts, Rob, but I prefer haar. And speaking of marmalade I haven't had any in a while. I'll need to sort that problem. :)

We get a regular supply of “home-made marmalade” from the local farm shop. Delicious!
We have tons of blackberries growing wild around the back of our new place and Linda made blackberry jam from some of it. She did a fine job. I must ask her to look into marmalade.

Back