Critique Welcomed Surveillance d'elegance

The photo is great @Peter Roberts! The tech definitely is the center of interest (focus and metal reflections), but the soft human behind it is even more remarkable.

I can't understand what is going on in the out of focus background, but to me it looks quite unsettling, and that adds to the overall oniric feel of your take.

BTW, I want that gear :), what is it? At work I have an old 8mm Bolex camera that in some way resembles that, but of course the one depicted in the photo isn't a camera, I suppose it's a telescope with different lenses to choose from. Am I right?

Note: Before you ask, I never used that Bolex camera.

Last edited:
The photo is great @Peter Roberts! The tech definitely is the center of interest (focus and metal reflections), but the soft human behind it is even more remarkable.

I can't understand what is going on in the out of focus background, but to me it looks quite unsettling, and that adds to the overall oniric feel of your take.

BTW, I want that gear :), what is it? At work I have an old 8mm Bolex camera that in some way resembles that, but of course the one depicted in the photo isn't a camera, I suppose it's a telescope with different lenses to choose from. Am I right?

Note: Before you ask, I never used that Bolex camera.
Thanks Gianluca,
The background is mostly spectators who, because they would have jarred with the period custume of the lady, I deliberately threw out of focus.
The gear is indeed a camera, a cine camera with a turret lens board to enable different focal lengths to be chosen. Here's another of the lady and camera seen in profile and without the air of mystery. It can be seen that one lens barrel is engraved 'Made in USA Bell &' [Howell]. So, yes, similar to a Bolex.

IMG_0145.JPG

Back