That Cafe

Or is it still simultaneously open and not open? But only when observed indirectly!

Life through a plastic screen. How topical!

The 'Open' and 'Closed' signs have become rather ubiquitous and not to say somewhat bewildering over the last few months. So much so, that the place has earned the name (in this household, at least) of Schrödinger's Caff.

But the place is open again now.
Still waiting for the condensation to appear on the windows again, but there are still new views of it to be had...

Caff from bus stop.JPG

I like the warmth of that lighting Chris, it's a great contrast to the smashed window and cold of the wet street.

I found another cafe image on Sunday. This one was nestling in a roll of colour film which has been waiting for weeks to be developed.
We finally got around to mixing up a new batch of developer and did a batch of stuff.

Sage cafe Zeiss.JPG

This was shot on a roll of expired Truprint film that was donated by a friend. The colours weren't too bad, except for the occasional and inexplicable burst of bright, royal blue in random spots. Although the film was 35mm, the camera was a little Zeiss Nettar 120 folder.

A couple of photos taken within moments of each other. I can't decide which I prefer, so I have posted them both.

Sage staff back.JPG

Sage staff front.JPG

The front/back view of the staff member echoes the 'still open, and yet somehow closed' status of the place.

Fantastic photos. I quite enjoy the ones with more mystery to them due to the condensation, but all are great. A nice journey through time...through windows... I might need to borrow this idea as I have a specific place in mind that this could be interesting.

Borrow as much as you like, Aaron. Windows are great!
Thanks for the kind comments.
Fantastic photos. I quite enjoy the ones with more mystery to them due to the condensation, but all are great. A nice journey through time...through windows... I might need to borrow this idea as I have a specific place in mind that this could be interesting.

I've been experimenting with Kodak Vision 3 250D motion picture film lately. I had to visit the cafe with a roll loaded into my Himatic 7s.

51979486439_7aab38e8b4_b.jpg

51978202067_59a2f59041_b.jpg

I love it Rob. The colours are beautiful, as you say. The grain is at a level that I like for colour film. I am going to be indulging in the purchase of a bulk roll of it quite soon, which kind of indicates how much I like it. There is of course, a bit of a hitch to all of this. Being a motion picture film, it has a layer on it which needs to be removed before development. This means you either have to develop it yourself or send it to someone who will do it for you. A normal lab will hunt you down and kill you if you contaminate their chemicals with your remjet!

Oh, it’s tempting to give one to Boots, which destroyed one of my films and lost the first film my daughter made, aged 4!
Now, that is funny!
The two images above were developed by me with a C41 kit, but this film is really supposed to be done with an ECN2 process. There are small colour shifts but I have seen nothing really nasty yet. In fact Mischa and I took a roll each on a trip to photograph some street art and we processed mine in C41, while we sent hers off to be done the proper way. The resulting images, once i scanned and tweaked them, were all great. I will post a couple later to demonstrate.

Back