The Art Of The Enlightenment

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
A trip to the National Gallery of Scotland, Edinburgh, with the Konica Hexar AF, Red Filter and XP2.

The Kiss and The Blush - the girl on the left has always struck me as blushing, doubtless being chatted up by the artist. But here I saw the chance of giving her blush another context...

Pals:

Pals
by RobMacKillop, on Flickr​

King James VI
Robert Burns
Flora MacDonald

Beautiful balance and contrast in that first one, Rob. Its as if the light space above and behind the sculpture was there to illuminate only them. ("Them,...?" lol. By that I mean the sculpture.)

I would never have considered using a red filter indoors. It works beautifully in these images, Rob. Are you using the camera's meter? Are you spot metering for the light reflecting off the sculpture?

Thanks, guys.

Brian, haven't figured out yet how to spot meter with the Hexar. The user interface is regarded as one of the worst ever created. No, I'm still on auto, and as it does it so well I haven't had the desire to explore further. Is that sad? It works! I'll get around to finding out what else it can do sometime.

With the red filter, it really picks up the white stone beautifully. As I said above, I darkened the sides and raised the light on the centre digitally, but only a little bit as it was pretty much all there at the start.

Hexar and Red Flter is a winning combo by the looks of things Rob - the stone of those states looks lush

Back