Critique Welcomed The Artist With Subject And Onlookers

Barry Keavney

The Artist with subject and onlooker with little girl.
by Barry Keavney, on Flickr

The Artist with subject and onlookers
by Barry Keavney, on Flickr

Testing testing!

Here's a shot of a street artist in Birmingham. I imagine he's here as part of the coming Arts Festival and had people standing in admiration of his talent. Oooo's & Ahhhh could be heard.

I got low. Low down. To his eye level and bang, bang, bang...three shoots down. I'm sure I hit some innocent by-passers.

Bang Bang!

All the time I was looking directly into his eye, through my viewfinder; partly obscured by my grid -display and focus point.
Bang Bang. I was shooting, moving, shooting moving. My shutter wheel one click, a third, Bang!. Move my aperture wheel the opposite way one click. Bang! I could see the faces Man! You weren't there man!

...Shhhhh...
The shadows. His face lit only by his canvas. His way of communicating...YOU weren't there man.

I moved slowly against the wall...of a Thorntons chocolate shop. In the shade, as to not disturb the natualr balance of light and depth. Bang, Bang!

"Smile you son of a bitch" I said as I choked on the last bit of the rollie sticking from the left of my mouth.

And I got these two.

I hope the links work now>

Last edited:
Very nice light and concentration on the face of the artist in the first one but I really like the gent in the middle behind as he reaches in for the best view. Two very good shots Barry.
Exciting shooting. "Bang bang boom boom, shoot low, they're coming on shetlands";)

Then we are in this beginning already 4 including the photographer who like them. I like everything about those two pictures. How you went in close, the light and the atmosphere you captured there. Great street photography I'd say.

Back