The demise of the DSLR - Ming Thein

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Ming Thein, a well established photographer and blogger, has just published an iterating post outlining his feelings on the rise of compact mirror-less camera systems, and as he sees it, the beginning of the end for the DSLR.

8014419139_7a4e07fb48_c.jpg

Five years ago, while I was writing for a local photo magazine, I was mostly in charge of the ‘big’ cameras – DSLRs and the like. There was no mirrorless category, with the exception of Leica; compacts meant serious image quality or lens quality compromises, and every serious photographer was typically also on first name terms with their chiropractor. You could still get film with relative ease, and better still, develop it. Not long ago, my desk had three cameras for review/ testing on it (the Olympus E-P5, Leica X Vario and Sigma DP3M – none of them were DSLRs. I now routinely travel without one; in fact, most of the time I do a lot of personal photography with compacts. And pretty much the only time my D800E comes out is when I’ve got a commercial job to shoot.

How things change.

He makes some interesting points, and also looks at the economic reasons that might eventually prevail, and push the simpler and cheaper to build mirror-less cameras to the fore.

Once the camera companies run out of natural evolutionary upgrades – more pixels, more ISO, more fps – all of the things that marketing people can easily hock – we’re going to see forced changes to survive; hopefully with some innovation rolled in. It will be painful, but necessary to move away from legacy lens systems; it’s clear that new lenses designed for digital significantly outperform legacy optics anyway – even Zeiss is redesigning its F and EF mount lenses to deal with increased resolution and corner demands.

Well worth a read, and good food for thought - The demise of the DSLR

Personally, I concur with his views. I'm traditionally an early adopter, I get in at the earlier stages in a product's life-cycle.

I've already made my switch to mirror-less.

I agree with mirrorless, back when the SLR was created you needed something optical to see what the film plane would see, now that its digital you don't really need it as you can see what the sensor sees in real time. I have the NEX-3 at the moment but will be looking at other mirrorless cameras in the future, less mechanical cameras will give better reliabilty and also last longer - eg the mirror won't jam after X thousand images. I feel that the camera bodies should be around the same size as the current DSLRs for erganomics and controls, just without a mirror. The space taken up with the optical viewfinder could be converted to an EVF, although that tech is still a way off before its up to replace the optical viewfinder.

I guess you just can't make a digital camera with an optical viewfinder the size of a Nikon FM2 or Pentax K1000 or Fuji ST 705. Personally I wouldn't dream of trading my X Pro or X100 for any digital DSLR. Honestly, if some one offered my a D800 + lenses in exchange I wouldn't trade. Outside of the fact that I just love what the Fuji camera's produce and they way they work, the size of the camera is one of the main reasons I stopped using the D700. I remember when I got this 24-70mm zoom for it. I was really excited until I took it out hiking with my dogs one day. I didn't shed a tear (except for the money I lost selling it) when I said good bye to that lens. I suppose for professional photographers it's a moot point.

All that said, since I started using film I do have to admit I really love the optical viewfinders on these older film cameras. It's just too bad they can't make the digital cameras the same size. And that optical viewfinder on the Kiev 88 is just amazing.

Back