Critique Welcomed The Gateway Arch

Brian Moore

Well it's one view of it anyway.

Completed in 1965 the Gateway Arch stands on the western bank of the Mississippi River in St. Louis, Missouri. It's the tallest arch in the world, reaching a height of 630 feet. It was designed by Eero Saarinen (he also designed the fantastic TWA Terminal at JFK Airport in New York) and was commissioned to be a monument to the western expansion of the United States. St. Louis was "the gateway" to the West.

You can go inside and ride a tram car to the top for spectacular views. (However the tram cars are a little cramped so you might think twice about going up if you happen to be a claustrophobe.)

I vaguely remember you posting an image of this arch some years ago, but perhaps another view...or indeed another arch? Maybe not. This is a really unusual and interesting perspective, Brian.

I vaguely remember you posting an image of this arch some years ago, but perhaps another view...or indeed another arch? Maybe not. This is a really unusual and interesting perspective, Brian.
Thanks, Rob. I've posted an image or two of the arch before. (I think I specifically posted an image of the shadow of the arch,...a fotie I took from up top.)

Seen many pictureas of the arch, but never from that angle. Makes for a remarkable image, draws the eye from the bottom to the top. Great one!

The original too for me, Brian, and another wonderfully confusing composition from the master of wonderfully confusing compositions! If you didn't tell us what is was one might think it was the bow of some impounded super-yacht! Lovely stuff! :)
My wife thought it looked like the prow of a ship, too, Pete. Thank you for your comments. (Not sure I have mastered wonderfully confusing compositions--unless they have been accidental:(--but I appreciate the sentiment.)

Back