The Jessops experience

I,ve got to say Hamish, a Team of Wild Horses would not get me through the door of Jessops again, and for much the similar reasons you,ve sadly discovered, I,m 100% Nikon, but thats just personal choice, live and let live, but for Customer Service I,ve got to say, "Wex Photographic" are the business....next day delivery really is just that. For Nikon expertise I use "Greys of Westminster"....their the boys....not the cheapest by a long chalk, but 100% genuine Nikon UK Stock, no grey imports, ( unlike Ebay)...thats my twopennyworth....!!

Happy shooting brothers,
Tony.

the guy that used to make me laugh, was one of the staff in MXV (rip). I've never known anyone so utterly miserable! never saw him smile. 'hey, I've got this great Fuji GX617 that I want to sell. interested?'

No. got 7 of them already thanks. terrible camera. can't shift them.

this wasn't the boss, just one of his minions.

I know exactly the one you mean. Mind, I bought some great stuff from them over the years - shame they are gone. My favourite memory of them was when I needed a heavyish tripod, having left the one I needed in Germany and only having a huge one available in the UK. I spotted an old Gitzo on their listing with a head for something like £60. I called to ask whether they still had it and what it was like. And got the 'cheerful' guy on the phone. He said he'd fish it out and have a look while I waited on the line. Getting back to the phone he said, "Well it looks like it's been run over by a truck!" - what a salesman! And then followed up with the classic line, "But I would have hated to have seen the state of the truck after!". I bought it there and then. When it turned up his description was actually pretty accurate and I cannot imagine what you could do to a tripod to get it into such a state. However, all the bits worked perfectly (a fine testament to Gitzo) and I still have it and it lives in the boot of the car. :)

I've been biting my tongue every time this thread appears, but it keeps coming, and I can't hold back any longer!

Aweful = full of awe!

Awful = awful

Did a trip to Jessops really fill you with awe, Hamish?

Sorry, I'll go to bed early...Feel free to criticise my spelling in the future...

:confused: :mad: :cool:

Now, Pete, I know a little bit about his, as Susan was once an editor for the Oxford English Dictionary. For a word to exist, it requires two written citations. And now we have: the thread title and my rant. Job done. :)

Some is 'orrible, some is alright and one is rather good.

'orribful they is!

I used to liken shopping at Jessops to sliding down a razor blade using me gronads as brakes. Not a recommended pastime.

But, and it is a qualified but, I donned a pair of dark glasses and a fake moustache and went into the Shrewsbury (Mardol) branch of Jessops to purchase a SD card on their recent promotion (cheaper by £1 than Amazon) and was met by one of the most knowledgeable and personable enthusiasts I have ever met.

As the holder of several medals for exchanging meaningful discussions with dis-interested Jessops staff and then executing a sharp left out of the door sans purchasing, I feel qualified to comment on the phenomenon that is a truly clued up member of the Clan Jessops.

His name is Phil and he is the store manager, and his manner and patience helping a older lady who, like me, was as photographically literate as my Rottweiler, was delightful. Furthermore, his demonstration of the rather dinky Sony Rx100 has convinced me that once the COS is absent shopping I shall say three Hail Mary's in penance, and go get one whilst her back is turned.

So the moral of this story is that whilst many Jessops are staffed by semi-illiterate youths who have an honours degree in customer care from the University of Couldnotgiveatoss, there are beacons of excellence out there. Or at least in Shrewsbury (Mardol) there are.

Douglas and Shrewsbury are ok then! They got some of my money on Saturday, what with having what I wanted in stock and being cheaper than the Hong Kong outlets (with Sony cashback). Just swimming against the tide.

Jessop & X pro-1

I was stood outside Jessop’s in Manchester city center today around 5pm in a busy part of town taking a few pics with the x10 ( which I incidentally forgot to take a memory card for & had to buy one in town but that’s another story lol ) A young sales lad came out of the shop & putting a poster up on the window outside, he said hi & asked if that was x10, I said yes & he replied ooooooo I love that camera, yes so do I was my reply. We had a bit of a chat and he mentioned have you seen or used the Xpro-1, no I replied he said well we have had one delivered this morning if you wish to take a look, of course I jumped at the chance as it just so happened i should be getting one in the coming weeks, didn’t tell him that though

Anyhow he nipped upstairs & brought it down, I can’t put a battery in or even let you take a photo unfortunately as it a sale item and not a shop demo model, and due to its price people expect a new new camera and not a pre-used & abused shop demo (I could understand were he was coming from I suppose if I was paying £1200 for a camera I would want in untouched my human hands lol) but he did put a lens on it for me to have a look & feel or size & weight. I also had to wear some soft white cotton gloves to keep it in pristine condition hahahah

A further 30 mins or so nattering with this lad as he was telling me all about the pros pros pros pros pros & very little cons about how good these cameras are & what there capable of. Basically if I had the cash in my pocket at the time he would have got a sale, I have never experienced such a friendly & helpful chap in a Jessop’s or in fact any shop anywhere, this guy loved his job, was passionate about photography & seemed genuine friendly guy it was a great experience & I didn’t actually have to ask for anything, it was him tell & showing me as well as I guess trying to grab a sale lol

I so cant wait for Christmas :D:D

Daz

That's some good customer services then, I was in there about a month or so ago to have a play with the 40mm STM after the discussion on here. It was bloody terrible, there were 2 members of staff for the entire shop floor and neither of them could leave their customers side whilst they were playing with cameras.
I had to neb in a few times to this one girl asking to try the lens, which she said was fine, but I'd have to wait for more staff to turn up, I said its alright, I don't need any help with it, and it's not like I was going anywhere (I had like 5 bags with me, which I kindly laid out on the floor to free up my hands.
Needless to say, she wouldn't do it, I had to wait, which I said was fine, it's not her fault after all. Literally 10 mins later of standing around another member of staff comes out of the back room with a handful of boxes, his mobile pressed to his ear from his shoulder having a gold old chat with a chum, she shouted over to him, desperation on her face - she must've been new. He shrugged his shoulders and carried on stacking these boxes on the floor!
Eventually though I must say a very nice bloke came out, got it out etc, and left me have a play, we had a good chat.. He had all the time in the world for me despite all the other customers - maybe the case wouldn't have been the same if I had told him at the start I can get it £20 cheaper elsewhere lol.

I must admit I find jessops in Manc a bit hit and miss, they're either breathing down your neck basically taking your belt off you in preparation of raping you, or you get the dead nice ones.

- - - Updated - - -

" I must say a very nice bloke came out, got it out etc, and left me have a play" - didnt mean to make it sound like that.

Very good Daz!
The level of decent customer service ALWAYS lies upon the individual and NEVER upon the name of the store they work for.
I know some people have had a nag about it on here including myself, but that should never take away that fact that there are folk out there determined to carry out a brilliant service.
Nice story Daz.
So then, are you buying??? :D

Back