The landscape of the North York Moors...

Shaun Haselden

Images shot today, Tuesday 13th August 2024, showing a popular spot on the North York Moors. The day was completed by a call in at Goathland village with coffee and cake. Nikon D4S/Nikon 28-70mm f2.8 afs zoom at f2.8 ISO 100.

Attachments

• The Landscape of the North York Moors in summer.jpg
    The Landscape of the North York Moors in summer.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 17
  • The North York Moors Landscape in summer.jpg
    The North York Moors Landscape in summer.jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 13
Seems just the other day that I looked up the definition of "moors" in the context of geography in the UK. Both images look peaceful although I think I like the 2nd of the two a bit more.
Gary, this place is a classic heather moorland covered with beehives and of course adders. A beautiful place in summer; not so nice mid winter. Thank you for your comment.

A retake on the same theme. Titled after the Genesis song in reference to the huge BMEW radar system on the moor.

Attachments

• Watcher of the Skies Watcher of All.jpg
    Watcher of the Skies Watcher of All.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 15
I find the narrow depth of field on these (more prominent in the two color images) to be very interesting. They almost have that toy effect achievable with tilt lenses.

I find the narrow depth of field on these (more prominent in the two color images) to be very interesting. They almost have that toy effect achievable with tilt lenses.
Brian, thank you for your comment. I came about this almost by accident. I was trying to emulate the restricted DoF I used to get using medium/large format film by using my Nikon 28-70mm f2.8 at f2.8 when I came up with this 'look'. Slightly strange.

Another North York Moors feature, The Millennium Stone. Nothing ancient about it of course.

Attachments

• The Millennium Stone North York Moors.jpg
    The Millennium Stone North York Moors.jpg
    470.5 KB · Views: 5
Back