Critique Welcomed The light misses some people

David Crosbie

You may have seen this on my flickr, but I thought in the spirit of the forum, I'd put it up separately.

28104150992_4bbb240d70_b.jpg

It does indeed. I'm always slightly uncomfortable with the idea of taking pictures of those less fortunate without some sort of engagement. I don't mean that as a criticism though, just something I find difficult to balance personally. However, I think this works particularly well due to him choosing to sit beside the closed-up shop (and away from that shaft of light / refection) and one immediately forms some kind of connection. A potent image.

I'm always slightly uncomfortable with the idea of taking pictures of those less fortunate without some sort of engagement. I don't mean that as a criticism though, just something I find difficult to balance personally.
I feel the same, Pete. Having said that, I don't mind such images if there is artistic or social merit intended. (As there is in this one of David's.)

There is always a tender balance there and a very difficult line to walk if one has a good portion of empathy. Therefore I understand the two older gentlemen's reluctance to being bold at times.:rolleyes: Boldness pays of without being rude you know. This image does not ridicule anyone, but strictly tell a story of how it is in the streets these present times. A good documentary I'd say.

Great image David...and I was immediately reminded of a line in Ralph McTells classic:

"So how can you tell me your lonely, and say for you that the sun don't shine."

Back