The Other End of the Spectrum

I have to confess that I find IR landscape photography pretty tedious, but I brought one of our IR converted bodies home to play with anyway (mind, portraits and figure studies are interesting, if not a bit scary!). As you will recall, I have a couple of IR converted cameras that are used for work and posted a few images from them a while back. However, they are pretty old, fairly low resolution and have a relatively short pass filter. Therefore last year I bought a couple of Nikon D810 bodies and immediately invalidated their warranty by having them converted to UV only and IR (830 nm) by ACS. I also bought some IR spotlights and had a Nikon Macro flash outfit converted to UV only. So far we have not really used them but I do have some projects in mind.

This is just a random shot taken from the bench in the garden, but it shows the classic IR effect on foliage and the sky (and some nice clouds) and illustrates well the impact that the extra-long wavelength pass filter. Of course at this wavelength the images are monochrome anyway, but I ran them through SilverFX anyway to add a border and remove the colour-cast from the raw file..

IR Trees-1.jpg

IR Converted Nikon D810 (830 nm) + Nikon AF-S 105mm Macro Nikkor F1:2.8 G ED. ISO 100, 1/200s f1:5.6. PP in LR / Nik SilverFX Pro 2.

Well, that has worked out really well, though what the Inland Revenue has to do with it is anybody's guess :rolleyes:

In fact, it's really quite beautiful. Like you, I'm not a fan of IR, which is a pity, as it is really easy to convert the SD Quattro to IR, though I've never tried. But images like this might persuade me of its worth. Very nice.

Another interesting image. Like most people, I did get the one roll of IR Ectachrome back in the day, pictures of pretty pink trees and garass and a pale green young lady.

Really like the tones in the image.

I have an old Nikon body I've thought of doing the conversion on but haven't taken the time yet.

Back