Critique Welcomed The result of a spare hour in Canberra

Stevenson Gawen

I was in Canberra today and had a spare hour or so, which I spent walking an erratic circuit with my Sony Nex5r... I was thinking "ah, now I can do some street photography - great!"
I did do some, or rather tried to, but I think the photos I prefer now I see them on the PC are more architectural... I think the first here is my favorite.
The middle one is with the 55-210 f4.5-6.3 'kit' lens, the others with a Sigma ART 30mm f2.8
DSC02726.jpgDSC02760.jpgDSC02781.jpg

Three fab shots. What particularly appeals to me is the seemingly random curves and wiggles of the clouds/reflections/AC flexible ducting set against the regular, linear elements of the buildings🙂

Thanks everyone - glad you like them!
I'm not sure if it's just me, but often when I make an effort to actually 'go somewhere', even it's just a short walk, solely to take photos, I find myself less than satisfied with the results. Initially, this was one of those occasions. But once I brought the set into darktable, and started culling, then 'tweaking' (just colours mostly, and of course monochrome conversion) I started to feel a bit better. You've completed that recovery ;):p
The crane went down well with family too, while I preferred the first one.

Interesting... does anyone else see the first image as being a walkway between rows of seating, almost stadium style, leading to... umm... the sky?

One more thought - on the last one, I wasn't able to position myself 'square' to the windows. In Darktable I used the auto-correct perspective tool which did a very nice job of straightening out the skewed lines.

Anyone have any thoughts on the "ethics" of this? I'm a great believer in not "altering" photos, as in the classic term "photoshopping" but with this I feel like it's ok as IF I had a tilt-shift lens or camera, I could do it in-camera...
I do however tweak colours and tones extensively sometimes, but again, to me, it's not actually altering the content.
Just curious as to what people feel about this.

It’s all in the eye of the beholder and what their tastes are. I don’t have a problem with ‘photoshopping’ if that’s part of someone’s creative intent. It’s not my usual style, although I’m not averse to it if the need arises . I have done images before that were created from separate elements. Normally, though, I like to keep it straight forward, just enhancements of what’s already there in the frame.
In the case of straightening the window frames on the computer, I think that’s a very mild adjustment, one that’s also relatively easily achieved on film.

Well, you certainly killed that hour successfully. I like especially the second, shot and I do see what you mean about the first. Interesting.

As to correcting perspective etc, and even more radical editing, I certainly have no qualms. With perspective, you are right of course that this could have been done in-camera or even at the printing stage with film. And quite a few other changes are not new, just easier. I was always a fan of cross-processing colour films and so certainly do not keep to a realistic palette when processing images digitally and for B&W, filters and toning (as well as selection when printing / editing) can transform and image and allow one to emphasise and change the impact of an image beyond the purely representational.

Back