The road to exhortation

Chris Bennett

52622867703_1a5ab868a2_c.jpg

That is an interesting character study. It shows the old and new ways of killing a bit of time, have a smoke or stare at your phone. The advice centre being closed and dark gives the scene a slightly sad air.

Two things draw my eye: the PUSH sign on the presumably locked door (which says something about life when you have little means), and the dashing white edge to her trainer (which is mocked by her smoking). Subtle tensional things that lift the image beyond the surface telling.

That is an interesting character study. It shows the old and new ways of killing a bit of time, have a smoke or stare at your phone. The advice centre being closed and dark gives the scene a slightly sad air.

This is a really interesting thought Dave and it had not crossed my mind. Of course, you are absolutely correct, and how perceptive of you to have spotted it.

Two things draw my eye: the PUSH sign on the presumably locked door (which says something about life when you have little means), and the dashing white edge to her trainer (which is mocked by her smoking). Subtle tensional things that lift the image beyond the surface telling.

Rob, your ability to read subtleties into photos always amazes me! These things passed me by when I was at the scene, though I thought it was important to allow the viewer to see the closed sign in full.
In my case, it was in order to convey the idea that the two characters were waiting to go in to receive much needed advice about their habits.

Last edited:
Back