The Seaside of Lincolnshire

Shaun Haselden

A couple of shots taken of my study of old, disused military sites around Lincolnshire and the coast. The Comet tank wreck is at a place known as Theddlethorpe, the Straw Bale is at an old RAF site known as Donna Nook and the old beach closed sign was on Cleethorpes beach whilst sea defence work was taking place. Lincolnshire is my home and I love it. The old military ruins around here feed my photography passion. I also love the cloudscapes over the Humber Estuary.

Attachments

• Comet Tank Wreck at Theddlethorpe August 2017.jpg
    Comet Tank Wreck at Theddlethorpe August 2017.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Donna Nook Lincolnshire during harvest.jpg
    Donna Nook Lincolnshire during harvest.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Cleethorpes Beach Closed Sign July 2017.jpg
    Cleethorpes Beach Closed Sign July 2017.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 16
Thank you for your comments guys. I love ultra wide angle lenses and under exposing slightly to darken the sky. The remainder is done using Silver Efex Pro. Lenses are either a Nikon 20mm f2.8 AFD or a Samyang 14mm f2.8. I know this is going to be really boring but I work in black and white 90% of the time. I simply don't understand colour and find it too complicated for my mind when shooting my favourite subjects.

Hi Shaun. Nice to see you on this forum. The shots are really good, well composed and rendered. I hope you stick around and upload more. You seem to get good cloudscapes around your way, which I like a lot. We've been known to get a cloud or two above Edinburgh...

Yes Rob, one of the things about the coast of Lincolnshire is that it is known as 'thunderstorm alley' so during the main seasons of the year we get stunning cloudscapes and although I adore all of our old military heritage down here, the most important part of my images are the clouds. I just love the fleeting appearance of them and the way they evolve and disperse into seemingly nothing.

This one is a shot taken during September of 2016 looking down one of the old runways at a place called Kelstern high up on the Lincolnshire Wolds. This one was taken using a Nikon 28mm lens but I am certain that my 14mm would have been so much better. Again, as with most of my images, the foreground is secondary to the sky.

Attachments

• Old runway at Kelstern.jpg
    Old runway at Kelstern.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 4
As well as skies like this I also get to ride a Harley Davidson around this beautiful county. I am always very grateful.

Nice to see you back, Shaun. And with some lovely, atmospheric shots.

Pete, yes, I have been away from here for quite a few years and a lot has happened in that time. I relocated from North Yorkshire back to Lincolnshire and dismissed all of my silver halide gear. I am now totally digital and finding it really inspiring. I have also taken a huge opportunity and rediscovered motorcycles which I haven't ridden since 2002.

Old boat at Burnham Deepdale, Norfolk, during July 2015. Shot using an Olympus Pen Lite EPL-3 with a focal length of around 28mm. Absolutely loved my time here with partner Sue.

Attachments

• Burnham Deepdale Old Boat 2015.jpg
    Burnham Deepdale Old Boat 2015.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 6
Malham limestone pavement, North Yorkshire, during June 2015. Again shot using an Olympus Pen Lite EPL-3 at around 28mm focal length. One of my favourite places if you can get the weather you are seeking.

Attachments

• Malham Limestone Pavement 2015.jpg
    Malham Limestone Pavement 2015.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 5
Thank you once again for your comments. A bit of background methinks;
Developed my first film and made my first darkroom print in 1969 at the age of ten. Quickly gained a love for warm toned chlorobromide papers and during the seventies used Kodak Royal Bromesko. During the eighties went all medium format and started printing onto Agfa Record Rapid entering my work into local society competitions. During the nineties I went large format 5x4" using a De Vere enlarger with a cold cathode head. Loved the image quality especially on to fine papers. 2003 bought first digital SLR and didn't like it. Played with film until 2016 when I moved to a full frame digital SLR and the current set up. I now love being able to print onto very fine 'art' papers like Hahnemuhle 'Albrect Durer' and showing off my images. I wonder what is next..?

Back