The Silent Service [my R/c Subs].

Richard Mullard

Rather than go 'off topic' in another thread, I've started this one in response to some requests for more info regarding my r/c subs.

My interest in submarines stems from a mad conversation about having an r/c shark fin in the feeder at Crofton when I was involved in voluntary work there.

The black one is a 'robbe seawolf V1' not to be confused with other seawolf sub models, length O/A 3ft beam 5" max. It's known as a 'dynamic diver' i.e it needs forward motion and the rear dive planes angled to dive down, and forward motion to keep it submerged, water pressure on the radio antenna as it moves controls the forward planes via a simple linkage to keep it level.

I built this back in 2007 from a kit of materials made of 'styrene sheet' and vacuum formed panels.

The other sub I have is a Thunder Tiger 'Neptune SB-1', this was also assembled from a kit parts the only thing I had to supply was the battery and an r/c receiver, length O/A 32" beam 8" max and made from bright yellow plastic.

This sub is a 'static diver' i.e it has a bladder that is filled with water to make it negatively bouyant (submerge). And then you can drive it with out having to keep up the forward motion, if the sub has a leak there is a sensor that detects water and starts the pump up which emptys the bladder and rises to the surface, thats if your not caught up in a load of weeds.
An accessary you could get at the time was a wireless camera that fitted into the nose cone, and transmitted the video feed back to a handset via a bouy on the surface connected to the sub.
Rather than gum up the works with a load of pictures (Facebook going down is managing quite nicely at the moment) I've uploaded some pictures to my Ipernity page here http://www.ipernity.com/doc/richardgmullard/album/607033

Thanks for looking.

Rich

Last edited:
Richard just love R/C (toys) mine are tanks that often feature here and very often spend time out on my battlefield, these Subs are pretty damned cool. Love em

cool. we love toys around here. have any photos of it in action?

I was going to pull your leg with a shot of the water (just my warped sense of humor coming through), there's no safe places to sail it around Reading, sorry.

Richard just love R/C (toys) mine are tanks that often feature here and very often spend time out on my battlefield, these Subs are pretty damned cool. Love em

Ahh, another tanker, got one of those as well mines a heng long tiger and I've also got an e-flite blade cx2 which took a bit of a knock last time out which I haven't got around to fixing yet.

I was going to pull your leg with a shot of the water (just my warped sense of humor coming through), there's no safe places to sail it around Reading, sorry.

Ahh, another tanker, got one of those as well mines a heng long tiger and I've also got an e-flite blade cx2 which took a bit of a knock last time out which I haven't got around to fixing yet.
Yep got a hl tiger i've specked up a bit, a hl panzer iii and Sherman,

Very cool. I'm glad I don't have to ride or work on the real ones anymore...but you got me wondering how the Coast Guard would like me flying around Boston Harbor.

Back