The staircase that leads you down into darkness

Gianluca Drago

I devote Saturday mornings to food shopping. I take my electric bike, a plastic bucket in the back basket and one in the front basket, a backpack, a couple of cloth bags, and go to the street market in the city squares. I have learnt that I cannot do the two things at the same time, that is, shopping and photography. But this morning I wanted to go back and take better pictures of the neighborhood agave that I had photographed last year, so I put my camera in my pocket.
Unfortunately, I found the agave in poor condition. The construction workers working on the apartment buildings around it had thrown everything at it: plastics, cement spatters, cigarette butts. The plant is suffering.

dc-lx100m2-PAN9261_01.jpg

Can one be so insensitive to such a plant?

Patiently, I tried to clean up the agave as best I could (stinging myself to blood, even), but I couldn't get any better photos.

I did, however, find a narrow staircase nearby that caught my attention and hadn't noticed the last time I visited the place. It is the staircase that leads down into darkness. It must have appeared there for a reason.

Attachments

• dc-lx100m2-PAN9224.jpg
    dc-lx100m2-PAN9224.jpg
    967.8 KB · Views: 9
  • dc-lx100m2-PAN9225_01.jpg
    dc-lx100m2-PAN9225_01.jpg
    969.2 KB · Views: 9
  • dc-lx100m2-PAN9226_01.jpg
    dc-lx100m2-PAN9226_01.jpg
    967.3 KB · Views: 9
  • dc-lx100m2-PAN9236_01.jpg
    dc-lx100m2-PAN9236_01.jpg
    948.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
That is a wonderful portrait of that poor agave. Were I the owner of the apartment buildings those construction workers would be dismissed instantaneously. Heathens!

Love the staircase images, Gianluca. Can't help but imagine those heathens descend into those depths each evening.

Back