Critique Welcomed The Wine-Dark Sea

Great timing, Brian. I really like the way the wave curls away from the viewer, sweeping round and almost meeting the tip of the huge cloud, almost vortex-like. The surfers nearby giving scale to the wave and the distant (and, I imagine) substantial power station little more than a speck under the immensity of said cloud. 👍👍

Great timing, Brian. I really like the way the wave curls away from the viewer, sweeping round and almost meeting the tip of the huge cloud, almost vortex-like. The surfers nearby giving scale to the wave and the distant (and, I imagine) substantial power station little more than a speck under the immensity of said cloud. 👍👍
Thanks a lot, Ralph. When I first saw this picture last week (although I took it several years ago I didn't actually pay any attention to it,...so when I saw it last week it was like I was seeing it for the first time) my initial thought was that I wish I had got the picture when one of the surfers was actually surfing. But the more I look at it the more I like it just as it is.

I love this shot from when you first uploaded it to Instagram and FaceBook, Brian. Possibly one of your best landscapes. The tonality is perfect for it, and the composition is also perfect. 10 out of 10.

The mention of wine-dark reminds me of Homer (not of the Simpsons!) and his Ulysses, but also of James Joyce’s book of the same name, where he has ‘the winedark sea, the scrotum-tightening sea’ 😂

I don't remember what camera I used

EXIF metadata say "Apple iPhone 6". Is it possible?

Code:
https://realphotographersforum.com/proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.brianmoorefoto.com%2Fimg%2Fs%2Fv-10%2Fp3703130410-4.jpg&hash=935dcbd9a199e9ce17620a933533d98f

800 × 534
195,89 KB

{
  "Make": "Apple",
  "Model": "iPhone 6",
  "XResolution": 72,
  "YResolution": 72,
  "ResolutionUnit": 2,
  "DateTime": "2024-02-10 17:32:45",
  "ExifIFDPointer": 161,
  "GPSInfoIFDPointer": 459,
  "ExposureTime": 0.00017543859649122806,
  "FNumber": 2.2,
  "ExposureProgram": "Normal program",
  "ISOSpeedRatings": 32,
  "DateTimeOriginal": "2017-12-03 08:03:59",
  "DateTimeDigitized": "2017-12-03 08:03:59",
  "ShutterSpeedValue": 12.476746,
  "ApertureValue": 2.275007,
  "ExposureBias": 0,
  "MeteringMode": "Pattern",
  "Flash": "Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode",
  "FocalLength": 4.15,
  "SensingMethod": "One-chip color area sensor",
  "ExposureMode": 0,
  "WhiteBalance": "Auto white balance",
  "FocalLengthIn35mmFilm": 29,
  "SceneCaptureType": "Standard",
  "GPSLatitudeRef": "N",
  "GPSLatitude": [
  ],
  "GPSLongitudeRef": "W",
  "GPSLongitude": [
  ],
  "GPSAltitude": 7.919239904988124,
  "thumbnail": {}
}

I love this shot from when you first uploaded it to Instagram and FaceBook, Brian. Possibly one of your best landscapes. The tonality is perfect for it, and the composition is also perfect. 10 out of 10.

The mention of wine-dark reminds me of Homer (not of the Simpsons!) and his Ulysses, but also of James Joyce’s book of the same name, where he has ‘the winedark sea, the scrotum-tightening sea’ 😂
Thanks Rob. My brother pointed out the Homer connection. And in fact it was he (my brother, not Homer) who first mentioned "wine-dark sea" in relation to this photo. I liked that much more than my first title for it although for me it had more to do with the Patrick O'Brian novel by that name. Nevertheless, thank you for the comments, Rob.

EXIF metadata say "Apple iPhone 6". Is it possible?

Code:
https://realphotographersforum.com/proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.brianmoorefoto.com%2Fimg%2Fs%2Fv-10%2Fp3703130410-4.jpg&hash=935dcbd9a199e9ce17620a933533d98f

800 × 534
195,89 KB

{
  "Make": "Apple",
  "Model": "iPhone 6",
  "XResolution": 72,
  "YResolution": 72,
  "ResolutionUnit": 2,
  "DateTime": "2024-02-10 17:32:45",
  "ExifIFDPointer": 161,
  "GPSInfoIFDPointer": 459,
  "ExposureTime": 0.00017543859649122806,
  "FNumber": 2.2,
  "ExposureProgram": "Normal program",
  "ISOSpeedRatings": 32,
  "DateTimeOriginal": "2017-12-03 08:03:59",
  "DateTimeDigitized": "2017-12-03 08:03:59",
  "ShutterSpeedValue": 12.476746,
  "ApertureValue": 2.275007,
  "ExposureBias": 0,
  "MeteringMode": "Pattern",
  "Flash": "Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode",
  "FocalLength": 4.15,
  "SensingMethod": "One-chip color area sensor",
  "ExposureMode": 0,
  "WhiteBalance": "Auto white balance",
  "FocalLengthIn35mmFilm": 29,
  "SceneCaptureType": "Standard",
  "GPSLatitudeRef": "N",
  "GPSLatitude": [
  ],
  "GPSLongitudeRef": "W",
  "GPSLongitude": [
  ],
  "GPSAltitude": 7.919239904988124,
  "thumbnail": {}
}
Yes Gianluca,...I think it is possible. When I first saw the metadata I was inclined to deny that it was an iPhone image. I thought maybe downloading the image to my camera roll somehow created information that made it look like it was shot by iPhone. I liked the picture so much I was convinced I had shot it with one of my Sigma cameras. Now I am thinking it was actually my iPhone.

However, I have a problem with the latest generation of smartphones (not yours), because they are much smarter than I am, and I feel envy. No noise, no burnt areas, no underexposed shadows, always blue skies, everything in focus, color harmonies spread over the whole surface.

There's absolutely no shame shooting with a smartphone when the output is so good. A good output also means there has been a good input upstream. At the same time I think that if you had a camera at the time, that shot could have been richer and deeper. Who knows?
I agree, Gianluca. It has been slowly dawning on me how good iPhone images can be. (The convenience factor certainly cannot be beat.)

However, I have a problem with the latest generation of smartphones (not yours), because they are much smarter than I am, and I feel envy. No noise, no burnt areas, no underexposed shadows, always blue skies, everything in focus, color harmonies spread over the whole surface.
I'm actually due for an update in the not too distant future. I'm looking forward to experience a later generation of phone camera.

I’ve had my iPhone SE since it came out. I took it to a phone shop a couple of months ago, and the salesman surprised me by saying, “The screen is better on that than the new ones, and another reason they stopped selling them is that they took sales away from the more expensive models. If I were you I’d keep it, maybe wait for two or three updates before contemplating a replacement”. So I will. But certainly the camera technology has moved on recently. What I really need is an app on my Q3 that extends it into a phone!

I’ve had my iPhone SE since it came out. I took it to a phone shop a couple of months ago, and the salesman surprised me by saying, “The screen is better on that than the new ones, and another reason they stopped selling them is that they took sales away from the more expensive models. If I were you I’d keep it, maybe wait for two or three updates before contemplating a replacement”. So I will. But certainly the camera technology has moved on recently. What I really need is an app on my Q3 that extends it into a phone!
My current one is the SE also, Rob.

Back