Critique Welcomed These boots are made for resting

Peter Roberts

Last week in St Martin's Lane, London. Taken quickly so I've missed the focus slightly. But hey, with this sort of thing it's the image and what it conjures up that matter most.

IMG_0012 (2).jpg

Minolta XD7 / Rokkor 45mm f4 / Tri-X / Rodinal

A celebration of the British working man, whose priorities are in proper order. 🙂

Nicely captured. Peter. (We just had a thread yesterday in which several of us discussed the relative merits of the technical vs compositional aspects of photography. That you sacrificed precise focus in favor of getting the image fits right into the discussion.)

This photograph says a thousands words. OK, perhaps less than a thousand :), but it is expression itself. The (ever so slight off) focus adds to the image, and I believe is in line with the entire idea of a break: take it whenever and wherever you can. Trust me on this, as a former military. One is forced to eat fast, rest fast, and so on. When I think of the moment you just showed here, yes, fastness is the word.

Thank you for sharing !!

The ‘missed’ focus, as mentioned above, loses nothing from the image. It has crisply framed a possible sub-plot, nicely framed within the door window frame. That poor woman stood in the middle of the road, wondering how she’s going to get to the house/shop/pavement on the other side of the bollard barricade, all while matey’s got his feet up, oblivious…🙄☺️

A celebration of the British working man, whose priorities are in proper order. 🙂

Nicely captured. Peter. (We just had a thread yesterday in which several of us discussed the relative merits of the technical vs compositional aspects of photography. That you sacrificed precise focus in favor of getting the image fits right into the discussion.)
Thanks , Ralph.

I'm glad it fits in with a recent discussion. I would like to think that the composition is fine, something that sometimes leaves me somewhat underwhelmed when viewing the work of "masters".

This photograph says a thousands words. OK, perhaps less than a thousand :), but it is expression itself. The (ever so slight off) focus adds to the image, and I believe is in line with the entire idea of a break: take it whenever and wherever you can. Trust me on this, as a former military. One is forced to eat fast, rest fast, and so on. When I think of the moment you just showed here, yes, fastness is the word.

Thank you for sharing !!
Absolutely, Julian.

Having recently retired from a safety critical occupation I know that part of current fatigue management thinking is to take micro-sleeps during periods of down-time. It looked as if those guys had repaired a leaking water main. For all I know they had been there the best part of the night doing and were waiting for a manager to turn up to sign off their work so that they could go home. They have my sympathy.

The ‘missed’ focus, as mentioned above, loses nothing from the image. It has crisply framed a possible sub-plot, nicely framed within the door window frame. That poor woman stood in the middle of the road, wondering how she’s going to get to the house/shop/pavement on the other side of the bollard barricade, all while matey’s got his feet up, oblivious…🙄☺️
See my reply to Julian for the way I read it. She's probably thinking "lazy ******s, not realising the true situation.

Back