Critique Welcomed Three photos (of many!) from the Orange Rally, NSW Australia

Stevenson Gawen

I spent last weekend at Orange, for the annual car rally... I was actually there primarily as a service crew member, with a possibility for photography in the afternoon, but our car was forced to retire very early with a mechanical failure, so I ended up being free to take a lot more photos.
Hard to pick a favorite really, so here's three varied picks!
They went down quite well on FB, but that was arguably an uncritical audience;)
DSC_4124.jpg
DSC_4427_01.jpgDSC_4743.jpg

Nikon D750, Tamron 70-200 f2.8

Some damn fine action shots there, Steve. I like that you have retained background and wheel blur as it were in the first, and the dust in the second shot helps create the feel of action too. My favourite though is the last shot even though it is not immediately obvious that it was taken during a rally. I think (like with wildlife photography) retaining context makes for a much more impactful image than just the subject, especially if one can create a strong composition as well as as you have done with the third image.

Thank you Pete! I'm not entirely happy with the composition of the middle one - feels a little unbalanced I think, althought somehow it seemed alright until I posted it here to stand (or fall) by itself, as it were. The last one was interesting as it was the last car through, on the final stage so it was pretty dark - that shot is 1/80th, f2.8 @ ISO 10000 if I remember right (too lazy to check right now...) and it was also by far the oldest car in the rally. A Plymouth PE from the 30s I think!

Thank you Pete! I'm not entirely happy with the composition of the middle one - feels a little unbalanced I think, althought somehow it seemed alright until I posted it here to stand (or fall) by itself, as it were. The last one was interesting as it was the last car through, on the final stage so it was pretty dark - that shot is 1/80th, f2.8 @ ISO 10000 if I remember right (too lazy to check right now...) and it was also by far the oldest car in the rally. A Plymouth PE from the 30s I think!
I guess you could try a crop losing most of the tape on the right and a bit off the top above the dust cloud... but they are fine shots in my book..

These continue to be a great series Stevenson, that last shot has all the tones I love in a frame of Ektar 100, warm, magenta bias.

The Plymouth does amaze me for the iso it was taken at, really still has good detail.

The flying safari is impressive, seeing the drivers face outline really shows how much concentration is taking place.

Do you ever look at the shot and wish you could see it from a different angle? I feel a 2/3rds view would have been amazing on this scene.

Thanks Wes! The D750 is great at high ISO - darktable does a good job at NR too.
Do you ever look at the shot and wish you could see it from a different angle? I feel a 2/3rds view would have been amazing on this scene.
Oh yes! Sometimes the situation limits one... I could have actually been in that kind of position on this shot, but it would have placed me closer, to the point that it would have been a little hard to find a safe spot to stand.

So I decided to go with the side on view - for better or worse. 😄 I agree this one would be great like that.
Panning gets more hit and miss at an angle though - although I could have just raised shutter speed... swings and roundabouts....

Back