Tired

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
Sorry I've not contributed much of late, guys and gals, but I'm just very tired. Not only have I not been out and about with my camera, but I haven't made many comments on other members' contributions here. In need of some stimulation! I've been enjoying playing jazz guitar, lately, so am not "down" in any way. I just don't know what I'm doing with photography. Not happy with my own images, in fact I'm quite bored with them. I guess we all go through this? Maybe time out is a necessary thing? Recharge the batteries?

I know the feeling Rob. I've had to force myself to go out at times and when I've taken photographs I just can't be bothered to sort them out, I have images on memory cards from months ago that haven't even been put on the computer.

When I go on the computer all I seem to do is catch up on RPF and a couple of other forums I'm a member of then play Mini-clip Pool:eek:, I have no interest in processing at all at the moment:(

Last edited:
I know the feeling Rob. You take a bunch of shots and then get them home and look and the first reaction is, 'boring'. Of course they probably aren't (at least not all) but getting the motivation to process and post them becomes an insurmountable effort. You are probably like me and need a project. I'm hoping to be inspired by Venice later this week. And I want to do some portraiture. I just need to get going. I reckon it might be worth going through all of your dark flower shots and trying to get a sequence for an eBook or similar. I reckon some nice borders would be good too. Maybe from Nik. Maybe even something a bit 'alternative'. What do you think?

Hey Rob,
Sometimes I don't feel like taking photos so I don't. Simple as that. Sounds like the guitar will fill any slack so go for it. Still looking forward to seeing more of your images.

Ralph is completely correct, there comes time when you don't want to pick up your camera, and if that's the case then don't .... I haven't picked mine up for 2 weeks or more

I am in same boat i have intentions of taking cam out but something always pops up and get in the way or the weather takes a turn for the worse and then you get even less inspiration.

I have day off tomorrow but gotta take car in for a pipe replacement from turbo, that's being done under warranty so i have to take it back to Manchester, now i need new battery as it failed to start today at fuelsstation so called RAC who tried to sell me one for £140 lol

Anyhow will take cams with me tomoz but the weather forecast is torrential rain all day for Manchester so will probably FAIL again.

I am sure the mojo will come back sooner or later if not i am in Paris for a last week on October so that should generate some interest i hops

DAz

Yes, we all need a break. Lets all go on holiday together - LOL! What a scene that would be.

I packed a lot in, since getting into photography, the OU course, billions of images, different editing software, etc, etc, and lots of experimenting. Time to take stock. You might be right, Pete, maybe it's time to bring focus, so to speak, to those dark nature images. We shall see. And Brian might be onto something - shooting film again.

My daughter, Rhona, thought Picasso paintings were, "Quite interesting", as she only saw them in books or on the net - until she went the other day to see real Picasso paintings. Now she thinks him a genius! It kind of highlighted what I'd been feeling about photography, some of my experiments at least, which lacked a certain visceral presence. Maybe I should take up painting....

I imagine that all the post-processing that RPFrs do must at some point get laborious or off-putting,...at least once in a while. Since I don't feel the need to do much of that I retain a certain freedom to just shoot, develop and scan. I don't always get good shots, and I'm sure some of my shots could be much improved by a PP tweak here or there, but I love just scanning my negs in to see what I've got. The suspense keeps me coming back, and the freedom from PP keeps me worry free, at least with regard to foties.:)

It happens it seems and too most if not all of us at some point. I've been travelling a fair bit and will be for a while and have not got into the swing of things. Not quite gelled with the RX100 yet either but I remember it took me a while to get to grips with the P7000. I hope to do some more portraits tonight but have to stick with digital as I have lost the feel for the timings.

Agreed, I remember a while back having a convo with Hamish about photo-block, it happens and goes as suddenly/slowly as it came. The passion remains even when in 'block' mode, that's why it's a block and nothing else, I believe all creatives, no matter what they create suffer from this and not only the once, it is a reoccurring thing and will haunt us as long as we try to be creative. I haven't painted for weeks or drawn but I have done other stuff, including photoging some, just, you know that ordinary shoot stuff but am happy not to have any pressure but starting to enjoy everything again, so Rob don't worry just pick up that nice six string and give it some wellie and all that jazz....which btw is something you should perhaps take up :D:D:D

Fine and dry in Potsdam - but rain forecast for Venice! :( It'll be more moody though. ;)

Actually it's dry here in Saltbox Mansions too but there has been some precipitation around the estate so the gamekeepers tell, not that I have been told first hand of course; this news came by way of the maid who has just popped in to fluff my pillows....:D:D:D

In bed already Kev! Or have you had a hard day evicting tennant farmers for failing to combine the fields paralell again! ;)

It was chucking it down when I left LHR this afternoon and the flight was delayed by an hour as the incoming plane had been held up by thunderstorms at Amsterdam. It was fairly bumpy for the first half hour or so but a nice evening (though dark) when I landed. It's still about 15°C now at nearly 11 PM.

In bed already Kev! Or have you had a hard day evicting tennant farmers for failing to combine the fields paralell again!

Pete you seem to know me so well....Yarp, had to have a word, or rather send the boy out to, when I say boy, he's a big lad, bread to cause trouble type you know, in fact if you had had him with you there wouldn't have been any bumps on your trip home.....even mother nature has seconds thoughts when he is in a mood..:D:D:D

Sorry I've not contributed much of late, guys and gals, but I'm just very tired. Not only have I not been out and about with my camera, but I haven't made many comments on other members' contributions here. In need of some stimulation! I've been enjoying playing jazz guitar, lately, so am not "down" in any way. I just don't know what I'm doing with photography. Not happy with my own images, in fact I'm quite bored with them. I guess we all go through this? Maybe time out is a necessary thing? Recharge the batteries?

Hi Rob

I been there too often.

Things which worked for me were : i took a break from photography; i bought different cheap old cameras :) (from that auction site): most of them were under £30 trying them all out a was such an enjoyable discovery as each had quirks, unique handling, own strengths which lent them to different kinds of photography; searching online for different things to photo, different ways to photo.

Also i find so much depends how i feel at that moment. Some days arrrrgh, oh just give up, im too down to do anything, other days ok lets do it.

Back