tom walking across a car park...

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
erm yeah... what do we think?

_DSC4989.jpg

_DSC4989-2.jpg

Last edited:
Have a look now Pete, I did a new one...
you mention the grit, I didnt apply for for the fact that the lens gives quite low contrast and with the light in shot it gives a bit of a washed out look that I think would clash with a texture ...
but bringing that washed outness does I think improve the image in the same way that would texture would ... ?

i have also added the bluryness to the right hand side which was one of the main things i was thinking about when i took the photo and that made me put tom on the felt ... ... but i forgot to put it in the first version

Last edited:
I see what you mean Hamish. But I think the blur is a bit obvious and might look better applied across the whole of the upper facade of the building. It reminds me of an old film shot. Maybe a bit of grain might complete the look. What do you think? After all, SilverFX 2 has just been released and it would be great opportunity to give it a spin!! ;)

And here is they are! The softer one is with blur applied and 'painted out' around the focal plane of the figure. The second is a non-blurred version and the third is a blend of the two. SilverFX Pro using Tintype as the starting point, a control point near the figures head to increase separation a touch, sepia tone and Agfa Neopan film simulation but with amplified grain. Burn to RH side and a touch at top and bottom.

Hamish_DSC4989SmallV3.jpg

Hamish_DSC4989SmallV2.jpg

Hamish_DSC4989SmallV1.jpg

Was tempted by a copper tone but stuck with sepia in the end.

make sure the images you upload to photobucket are 72dpi

I like it Pete!
but for me the grain and texture blurs to much of the detail
I have worked out that I like images that have a lot of selectively blured areas in a manner that focuses the attention
I wanted the attention to be focused on the building, steps and ladder ... the bluring IMHO washes over the focal point to much for me ...

ahh ... now that should be interesting

i was going to suggest this the other day ...
im pretty certain that if you output a raw file from lightroom and give it to someone else it will have all the applied attributes including the ones on lens correction etc... im not sure for certain but i was interested to see if it did??

I left the layers in so you could play with them. You'll see that one of them is still sharp although I could have use a higher grain to pixel ratio but I was trying for a fairly 'pushed' look. Selective focus - you need to get yourself a 5x4 technical camera!!

Ooo those are lovely!
I'd love a 5x4 technical camera but for the £££
One day... Until then, I'll just have to get better in lightroom ...
To be fair though I quite like the software version ... There are more options are open to me for varying things ...
Of course there is more skill in doin it properly though eh

I'll have a look at the psd on Monday now, it on the office pc...
Will be interesting to see the things you have done especially as I dont really use photoshop

oh just found this thread. can i play?

Back