Too Early?

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
After a request from SWMBO to 'get the **** Christmas Cards ordered' - I came up with a cunning plan, which only involved buying a couple of new pieces of photographic gear and a small tree! :D

8120950118_cb2f03eaa4_o.jpg

The tree came from a craft store, and I bought some mini decorations to give it a nice red pop.

The shot was lit with off-camera fill flash, using a new off-camera flash cable on the X-Pro1 (The Canon off-camera cables work perfectly with the Fuji flash guns).

Initial exposure was set using a rather natty Sekonic spot/ambient lightmeter which happened to arrive this very afternoon from Amazon :cool:

I set the required shutter speed for flash sync, then metered for the aperture (and ISO).

The Flash was set to manual and metered, and set at 1/16 power to provide a nice fill against the sunset lighting.

The final image was shot RAW then tweaked in NIK before exporting to iPhoto.

iPhoto was then used to select the card design and order online.

SWMBO is happy - the task is complete, and my camera bag has some nice new toys for me to play with... I mean shoot next years Christmas Card with! :D :D :D

Superb bit of work - but yes - TOO early! Xmas should at least stay in December! LOL!

Excellent Chris. Nice story and even nicer shot. And now you're fully prepared. You've got the cards sorted. A tree. Decorations. And even a sack! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Which Sekonic by the way?

Thanks Pete - I got the Sekonic L-758DR, so should be all set for a while now!

Dave - for some reason SWMBO likes to do the cards at Thanksgiving, so ordering now was required (apparently)

Ahmad - I feel your pain :D

Thanks Brian - it's all in the pitch... which is why I haven't told her about the new toys yet! :D

Beth - If only life were that easy... :D :D :D

Thanks Rob and Steve - One of my rare moments of clarity!

for some reason they won't sell the non-radio version in the US - you can get it on EBAY, but all of the official channels say "Available in Europe only"

So I figured I'd invest and be ready if I ever go for radio triggers

Have you tried the whole Sekonic Exposure Target calibration thing?

Looks expensive...

Back