Critique Welcomed Tools of the Trade

Peter Roberts

These days there are very few working environments that you can wander around without running up against the two restrictions of 'security' and 'health and safety'. Beaches that are home to fishing boats are often the exception. This is the fishermen's part of the beach at Hastings.

IMG_0036 - Reduced.jpg

IMG_0028 - Reduced.jpg

IMG_0027 - Reduced.jpg

IMG_0022 - Reduced.jpg

All: Minolta SRT101b / Rokkor 35mm f2.8 / Yellow filter / FP4+ / Rodinal

Like them all, but especially the first, Peter. There are a few places like this dotted along the Fife coast.

Written on the flag in the first image is "Britain's...something" I can't quite figure it out. Do you recall what it said?

Indeed, fine set of images. The light is fantastic, particularly in the first, although my fave is probably the last one, the lines of the boat drawing the viewer down towards the lone contemplative figure looking out to sea. Maybe a fisherman reflecting on difficult times?

Indeed, fine set of images. The light is fantastic, particularly in the first, although my fave is probably the last one, the lines of the boat drawing the viewer down towards the lone contemplative figure looking out to sea. Maybe a fisherman reflecting on difficult times?

Fourth one is my favorite as well.

Perhaps the fisherman is contemplating forgetting boats don't have brakes. ;)

My vote goes to the first one, evocative of marine adventures. The second one is less dramatic, but I like its composition.

Like them all, but especially the first, Peter. There are a few places like this dotted along the Fife coast.

Written on the flag in the first image is "Britain's...something" I can't quite figure it out. Do you recall what it said?
Thanks Rob.

Initially I was only going to post that first shot, hence the title. As the others were in the same file I slipped them in as well. Glad I did as other people's reactions have been interesting.

Looking at the unreduced original the flag says something like"Save Britain's Fish(eries?). The fishing industry is in decline and the sad thing is that many of those boats don't seem to have moved for quite a few years. In fact I wonder whether that first is posed like that with all its paraphernalia as a form of protest.

Thanks Ralph.

Yes, the light was amazing that day. But tricky as it was constantly changing. I took one general reading then trusted to luck.

Evocative though the figure is, I think it was just a passerby out for a bracing walk on the beach.

Fourth one is my favorite as well.

Perhaps the fisherman is contemplating forgetting boats don't have brakes. ;)
Thanks Paul.

Haha! That boat is actually hauled up quite high on a steeply sloping beach so it's not going anywhere, and probably hasn't for some time while it awaits better times.

My vote goes to the first one, evocative of marine adventures. The second one is less dramatic, but I like its composition.
Thanks Gianluca.

Here's to that boat having many adventures in the future when better days return and, indeed, come back safely from them. Fishing is a tough, unforgiving occupation for both men and equipment.

Thanks Ralph.

Yes, the light was amazing that day. But tricky as it was constantly changing. I took one general reading then trusted to luck.

Evocative though the figure is, I think it was just a passerby out for a bracing walk on the beach.
Well, fortuitous nonetheless🙂

Back