Tripod heads etc. getting shot of ball head?

Peter Blake

for a very long time I had the Manfrotto hex plate, on one of their 029 heads. then recently I came across an ArcaSwiss ball head at a good price, which I hoped would solve the problem of not being able to tilt a dslr body up or down, when turned to portrait format. well, it has solved that problem, but I just don't find the AS qr system anywhere near as intuitive, as the hex plate. mainly because you need to check that the wedge-shaped edges of the qr plate, are correctly aligned with the slot on the head, and that sometimes isn't very easy because it's under the camera or lens, and therefore in shadow. the hex plate is first of all larger than most bodies at least front to rear, and is a lot easier to connect to the head, mainly using the effects of gravity!

in your opinion, is this just a case of getting used to, or is it a more widespread experience?

so I'm kind of thinking that I've made a mistake. the ball head itself is fine, but the qr system is just a bit fiddly when you don't want it to be. qr becoming sr! so recommend me a Manfrotto ball head that uses the hex plate? I just haven't shopped for tripods for such a long time......bit out of touch. or can the AS QR system be removed and replaced with a hex plate setup?

the other thing is, I now find I miss the 029 head, for the long lens, and for the 4x5...

although I have discovered something called a gimbal head, which will definitely work for the 400mm.

is there a particular model of 3 way? head, that anyone would recommend for 4x5? my Toyo only has the 1/4" socket on its clamp. I appreciate you only really need a two way for large format, but a 3way at least has some extra versatility.

what I disliked the most about the 029 (3D STD)head, was the handles. which had to be removed to fit in the Manfrotto bag.

I have an old Manfrotto ball head (huge thing) that I use on the stand in the UK sometimes when I need a 1/4" thread. It uses the Hex Plate - you can see it in the shots of the Apollo (http://www.realphotographersforum.com/film-conventional-cameras/8030-nikon-f-apollo.html) - I'll try to find the model number (I have just flown to Potsdam so I need to ask someone back in the UK). I agree that the Arca plates are a bit fiddly. The majority of my tripods and heads are Gitzo (although I use Sinar ones on the stands normally). Their ball heads, especially the offset ones (These I use for field work when I need to use weird angles), are excellent and the QD sstem is superb and has an additional safety lock. I'll take a picture of one tomorrow.

if the base part has alternate silver and black striations, I think it might be a 168?

quite a decent overview here

Dennis Saßmannshausen Photography

as he points out though, there is no safety lock on the qr plate, a feature I found beneficial on the 029 head I let go recently.

so as is often the way, a few minutes after typing the post, I had a quick butchers at B&H' selection of ball heads, rated up to a conservative 4kgs. seems Manfrotto now do a 494 MiniBall, for less than $50, and a separate hex plate / qr assy, for another fifty. having apparently discontinued the 488 that Dennis (link) found so favourable.

it's just a way I was thinking of, to release some of the funds in the ArcaSwiss head, while still having a reasonable ball head.

Yep, it's the 268 all right. I use it for mounting SLRs to the stand in place of the Sinar head as the Hex plate has a 1/4 thread on it.

Here it is with a Technical mounted on it.

Technika-10.jpg

322rc2 ballhead is the one i own now and love it. has a qr plate, not hex plate, but has a locking pin that activates when you put the qr plate in that i didn't have in my first bogen ballhead with a qr plate (which i hated).

I had a version of that joystick head too. I could never get on with it, since after locking the ball, it always moved. Good idea though

I have a Slik Ball Head 800 and it has held a Mamiya C3 on a parallax corrector OK after I worked out that you have to set the tension quite high with the small knob and then lock off using the large one. Could do with being even more sturdy but it is a nice balance between portability and sturdiness.

I like the 5 axis head from Induro, which has an excellent range of movement, including dedicated pan/tilt rotation and built in 3 way levels.

induro_phq_movement.jpg

8059645011_7ed5b6e7e8_b.jpg

I like the ability to move one axis at a time, which is why I prefer this format of head rather than a ball head.

It has a quick release system, and a nice feature where the adjustment handles fold flat for transport.

Interesting Chris. I think Asun has an Induro tripod. I'd seen their stuff advertised, and some favourable reviews, but didn't know anyone using these heads. I will investigate. For precision work I use an Arca Cube but something in between would be nice.

Pete - a few years ago they were a cheap copy type of tripod, but have really stepped up their game with the current models being top notch products that can compete with the best.

They sell under a couple of brand names - but in the US Induro is the easiest to buy in stores.

Good video on the head and features below:

[video=youtube;FScfXazxdGY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FScfXazxdGY[/video]

that Arca Cube is just mindboggling! looks like it escaped from the Design Museum

hmmm plenty of food for thought!

Back