Critique Welcomed Tuskegee Airmen Historic Site

Art Meripol

I hope and expect many here know of the famed 'Red Tails', the Tuskegee airmen. If you don't know of them then research their story. It's inspiring to say the least.
As the official photographer for the US Civil Rights Trail I was assigned to shoot the Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site at Moton Field in Tuskegee Alabama, USA. The small airport where they trained is a great visit with a lot of historic displays. Unfortunately on a slightly gray day the site was bland. The tarmac was dull and the hangars even more so against a dull sky. The site is operated by the National Park Service and closes at 5pm. After shooting a variety of shots inside and out it was getting near closing time but still over an hour till sunset. I needed that late light to give some life to the scene.
I asked a park employee if he would help me with the needed shot. Instead of just going home at 5pm he got into the idea of creating something with me. A truly genuine and good man. Would not have pulled off the shot without him.
They have an old Stearman inside one of the hangars. I had the idea of opening the door to the hangar and lighting the plane. I hoped to create a scene that felt like it was during WWII and the mechanics were working late. Using Elinchrom lights on a battery pack I lit the scene and then had my 'helper' open the door. Apparently it hadn't been opened in years. Shoving and pushing the door as it screeching along on its rusted path he managed to get it open enough for the shot. I set up my tripod and waited for the light. It's a favorite image. It's not often that the image you have in your head comes to life so nicely. Just wish I'd had some 'models' to pose as mechanics.

Attachments

• 16.01.14_TuskegeeAirmen265-1-1WEB.jpg
    16.01.14_TuskegeeAirmen265-1-1WEB.jpg
    635.2 KB · Views: 19
That is certainly very effective and I really like the way you have managed to contrast the warmer light inside with the cooler light of evening. Did you use a gel on the lights or is the warmth the result of reflection from the materials of the interior? I also really like the interaction diagonal created by the angle of the front of the building with respect to the camera and angle created by the tail-one view of the plane. I can see why it would be a favourite.

I know nothing of the 'Red Tails, but will look them up.

That is a great one! Love the contrast between the complex detail of the roof structure and the open sky. An orange / blue split always works well, makes it look warm and cosy inside.
Thanks you Dave. I've always loved having my subject in warm light and contrasting it with a cool background .Really controls the eye nicely.

That is certainly very effective and I really like the way you have managed to contrast the warmer light inside with the cooler light of evening. Did you use a gel on the lights or is the warmth the result of reflection from the materials of the interior? I also really like the interaction diagonal created by the angle of the front of the building with respect to the camera and angle created by the tail-one view of the plane. I can see why it would be a favourite.

I know nothing of the 'Red Tails, but will look them up.
if you're interested here's a quick wrap up about them. https://www.nps.gov/tuai/learn/hist...n were,first African American military pilots.

Nice work, resulting in a nice photo.

Several years ago I attended a Black History Month presentation at work. Speakers included one of the last, if not the sole remaining, Airman, his grandson, and a high-level general who was advising the current political administration on security and military topics.

Among the attendees were a group of black students from a local magnet school. The general had difficulty holding their attention, and mine. The grandson, who had some sort of automotive business, was an effective speaker and engaged the audience well.

The elderly pilot was the most interesting and entertaining. He had the opportunity to speak with President Truman under some circumstance I can't remember where he offered to fly the President in the airplane he flew. (I can't remember if Truman's official transit was delayed, or it was just a courtesy). Truman was reportedly unnerved by the condition of the plane and politely declined, marveling at what the Airmen achieved in such aircraft. Why the aircraft were in worrisome condition falls under the civil rights history topic.

Murray Leshner

Back