Uniche Interior Furnishings - Furniture Photography

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
Some time last year I received a phone call from a chap called Mark from a burgeoning company called Uniche Interior Furnishings asking me if i was capable of and interested in doing some "Vintage Industrial" furniture product photography. I said I was but would like to see the furniture first ... unfortunately, at that time there was no furniture to see, in this country at least...

Uniche-189-1.jpg

As I understand it a few years back Laura, Mark's better half had decided she would like to start selling unique furnishings via the internet, I think it started with an idea of buying a restoring pieces here in the UK. One way or another the idea developed into something a bit bigger! After scouring the internet she found some manufacturers of interesting and unusual furniture in India. A few trips back and forth and they had sourced, chosen and ordered some furniture. Back in the UK they had a website build under way but needed some photos taking of the furniture when it arrived here. They had secured a warehouse to store it all and decided the easiest way to get it photographed would be to convert one end of the warehouse into a photography studio ... which is where I came in!

Marks first request from me was that I go out to the warehouse and advise on the space, or at very least confirm the dimensions would be great enough for what they had in mind and let him bounce some ideas off me for how to decorate the space.

I went out to see them, we had a brief chat and then followed them down to the "studio" ... I have to admit to being pretty horrified when I got there! I wish I had some photos of what it looked like! The warehouse had previously been used by a powder coating company and the area designated for "studio" was the area previously designated for powder coating! It was a mess, dark, dingy, closed in, black power everywhere!
Me, Mark and Laura had a bit of a chat and worked out that removing a wall was the way forward, it would then need plastering and a floor putting down... Unbeknownst to me Mark, in a previous life, was a property developer and the task in hand was small fry for a man of his skills!
A few moths later I returned to have a look only to find a clean tidy warehouse and a perfect studio space!

Then was the waiting game ... the Indians had to wait for the rainy season to pass so some of the materials could be air dried! Eventually, just before Christmas the furniture arrived! I originally quoted two weeks to get it all photographed, we had a week! So with a touch of stress hanging over all of us I spent a week in a fairly chilly studio with mark and Laura taking photos of some weird, wonderful and beautiful hand made furniture!

Thankfully for me, Mark and Laura are both really nice people to work for! On top of this Mark's skills with his hands and Laura's creativity and eye for detail make them the ideal clients as well as being pretty much spot on as suppliers of this sort of furniture... so all in all it went very smoothly!

This is the Studio space with one of their larger pieces, a large shelving unit come room divider

_DSC0187.jpg

and the final shot
2 shoot through brolley diffused 800w visico flashes and a 500w visico flash with snoot for a spot for a bit of highlight on the back wall in the centre of the frame...

_DSC0191.jpg

You can find it on their site here Large Iron and Wood Factory Shelves

After doing the individual products as you can see in the link we also did a range of set shots

Uniche-263.jpg

My favourites though were the shot they use on their home page and the one at the start of this post...

Uniche-481.jpg

This is the space with mark in action!

Uniche-452.jpg

There is something hugely satisfying about this sort of photography, It was a fairly stressful week but it was a very enjoyable one! I really wish Mark and Laura every success with this, just listening to them talk about setting up their company, all the hurdles and complications they have had over the last ... months?... years?... is stressful enough! They really do deserve success, for all of the above but also because they are a nice pair of people!

Once again Mark, Laura, I really wish you the best of luck! I really look forward to spending some more time taking photos, drinking to much coffee, going slightly mad after agonising over the position of a stack of candles for an hour, and all in a nice warm studio next time ... ;)

Last edited:
Cheers Darren! Yeah, I suspect you would have loved it for the nessasary attention to verticals etc!
I suspect I wouldn't have been quite as good at this job had I not been subject to do many of your images perfect images ;)
It was a lot of fun, there is definitely somthing appealing about have complete control over an image ... Although it can make you crazy!
The last photo but 1, with the chair with the writing on the arm that's half of out frame, it took about an hour to get the position of it and the lamp behind it right ...

The bit I like is playing with perspective... In the first shot the lights had to be hung in such a way that if you look at them square on they looke terrible, but from the angle of shooting they look uniform! Same goes for the stuff on the table ... To make it look square on you have to put it much closer to the front of the table...
Shadow hiding as well, that's another fun bit, breaking harsh shadows by having them land on or hidden by somthing ... The lamp I was talking about has a shadow from the chair behind it, but it looks ok because the eye is distracted by the lamp ...
Who would have thought being so anally retentive could be so much fun :)

I'm wittering ...
Cheers Brian too :)

Very nice Hamish - and I like the behind the scenes set-up shots to illustrate the lighting and working space - gives everyone a great insight.

Loving the pano crops as well! ;)

Very nice Hamish - and I like the behind the scenes set-up shots to illustrate the lighting and working space - gives everyone a great insight.

Loving the pano crops as well! ;)

Cheers Chris!
Pano crops indeed ... shots to website specs ... they do look good wide though eh ;)

I am very impressed Hamish. What is really nice as well is the way the images perfectly suit the colour scheme of the website too.Might have to offer you a deal - I'll fix your stuff for some lessons on lighting:).

I am very impressed Hamish. What is really nice as well is the way the images perfectly suit the colour scheme of the website too.Might have to offer you a deal - I'll fix your stuff for some lessons on lighting:).

Cheers Paul ... They match the site simply because of the grey walls I think!
As for the lighting... I'm not sure I could teach you much, other than I just move the lights into a position where they don't cause harsh shadows or harsh reflections in things etc!
shoot through brolleys for very diffuse lighting, then a spot for a highlight on the wall!
I start by putting the lights at 45 degrees and 45 degrees off from the shooting position with the product as the centre of the circle if that makes sense? angle them 45 degrees down ... depending on the subject I might then move them to say 65 degrees as often the work better closer to either side ... I also found them better higher up pointing more down on to the subject (like in the big sets ... that can often help with stopping reflections in things!
basically tweak tweak and more tweak with the camera tethered to the computer to check the work as i go
There is a little PP, tweak to the blacks and contrast, the trick is to make the photo look as close as possible to the item in real life. the flatter light created by such diffused light can make things look a little dull and take a bit of "life" out of the colours somehow ... upping the blacks helps with that without effecting the actual colour of the product!
I also used a very very subtle vignette to enhance the effect of the spot light behind the product... that might be against the "rules" but it worked and the client liked it as it suited the feel that they feel fits their products if that makes sense??

Back