Upgrading to Adobe Creative Cloud

After much deliberation, I have come up with a plan for upgrading our imaging software to Adobe Creative Cloud (CC). We have:

On one Adobe ID

Design Premium (Win)
Master Collection CS6 Mac
Photoshop CS6 Mac (X3)
Lightroom 4 (X4)

and on a second (sort of orphaned!) Adobe ID

Photoshop CS4 (Win)
Photoshop CS2 (Win)
Lightroom 2

In theory, switching to CC could be quite cost-effective as it is much easier to activate / deactivate the programmes on different machines.

So, I have upgraded the Master Collection which is installed on the main system in Germany and one of the workstations in the UK. I used an adviser for Adobe to help with this but they put me through the incorrect route. I noticed today when I went to upgrade a single PS. I had to order a new one and they the cancelled the previous one and have organised a refund of the first payment taken. All went well (although I find the chat support process rather time consuming) and I have so far downloaded and activated PS and Bridge via the new software manager. It worked very well. You just tick the software that is listed as being part of your subscription in the software manager installed on your machine and off it goes.

I have also upgraded the PS CS4 to CC and will install that on a laptop. The upgrade price for CS4 to CC was the same as for CS6 to CC.

As you probably know, the full CC includes LR and so that deals with the German / main UK workstation. I will buy a retail upgrade for the laptop (LR2 to LR5 costs the same as LR4 to LR5).

By activating / deactivating the copy on the laptop and one other workstation and another laptop (none of which are ever used concurrently) we should be able to manage our requirements for image and video editing with those upgrades. The only thing that will need to be done will be to upgrade two workstations and the laptops to Mountain Lion (and probably all the other Macs too - one already is). I had been avoiding this as some software I used wasn't compatible. Most now is although I will probably have to abandon one statistics package.

So far, so good. I'll keep you posted!

I have the full CC

- - - Updated - - -

boom (as the kids say)

BQG3jCVCcAAlgM0.jpg:large

Mmmm, I'm still on the fence - most likely some new RAW conversion requirement will force me to sign-up in the future :(

It seems cheaper and a more sensible way for them to keep folks up to date with latest raw versions etc.
I can't see what all the fuss is about tbh

OK, first two snags with the overall process. LR5 only runs under Mountain Lion on the Mac and so, after delaying this for quite some time, I upgraded the OS from Snow Leopard. This has lead to 2 problems that I'd thought about, but clearly not hard enough! Microtek Scanwizard doesn't run under Mountain Lion and neither does the curve generator for Precision Digital Negatives. I have written to Mark Nelson about the latter and checked for an update with Microtek; there isn't one. OK, so no problem I'll just purchase another (expensive) license for Silverfast. But, after a quick call to the developers in Kiel I have learned that they haven't got a Mountain Lion version for the 1000XL yet. Aha, but Vuescan does. But it doesn't support the negative scanning function! :mad: Luckily I have a Mac Mini in the studio with Snow Leopard Server installed on it so it looks like I'll have to hitch the Scanmaker to that for the moment (or run Snow Leopard as a virtual machine I suppose).

One word of 'additional' warning. If you follow the instructions for removing PS CS4/5 from Adobe, CS6 will stop working as well! However, installing CC afterwards will restore the missing shared components!

Last edited:
Back