Vegetables as jewellery

Chris Bennett

The Tomato Necklace

53068112214_69783ce8a7_b.jpg

Sony a6000 / Tamron Twin-Tele 135mm f/2.8

I have been trying to get this shot for months! I saw the potential for it quite some time ago, and so every time I've passed by, I've loitered around for a few minutes to see if there was going to be a suitable subject in or around the right spot. On Saturday, I decided to invest some more time in my efforts and stayed for long enough for it to happen.

He-heh!
The gent is serving Indian food such as samosas and bhajis from the behind the counter in a shop across the street from where I was standing. The tomatoes are displayed on a poster on a shop display immediately behind me and to my right. They are being reflected in the window of the Indian deli (or is that a Delhi?), through which I can see him.
A few weeks ago, the manager of the deli spotted me looking at his shop with a camera in my hand and shouted across the street "Is this anything I need to worry about?", so I went in and explained what I was doing. He actually offered to pose for me, but I thanked him and told him it had to be candid. I will get a couple of prints and drop them off for him.

Last edited:
Thanks Brian. This was a fun one.
Your story about the manager reminded me of something. A few years ago I snapped a photo of a fancy motorbike outside a customizing shop. I took the photo from across the road and used a Polaroid Land Camera. No sooner had I snapped the picture than a bloke charged across the street toward me and demanded to know my motivation. I guess he thought I was a spy. I told him I just wanted a photo of the bike, nothing more, and showed him the picture. When he realized how little detail the film had recorded he realized I couldn't possibly be stealing custom secrets and he calmed down. We chatted for a moment or two, and as a gesture of friendship I offered him the photo. He turned it down. I was mildly insulted by this. :oops:

Back