Critique Welcomed Windy Morning on the Monaro - with bonus lens flare...

Stevenson Gawen

I took this little set a couple of days ago. It was a VERY cold wind - the kind where you can't feel your fingers after a few minutes.
I'm not sure if the images look cold...? Probably irrelevant.
All taken with a D750 and Tamron 70-200 lens. (Edit: except the second - 24-70 for that one.) I didn't notice the lens flare on the third image till afterwards and was a bit disappointed - but it doesn't look too bad if you squint!
I live about 10km from here... but in a more sheltered spot. :)
DSC_7748.jpg
DSC_7722.jpg
DSC_7740.jpgDSC_7750.jpg

It looks windy but not cold. Beautiful tones in these pictures, Stevenson. I especially like number 2 with the dust blowing along the road, backlit by, and reflective of, the golden hour sunrise/set. I also especially like the way in number 4 that the mist (or dust) hanging in the air provides separation that accentuates the distancing of the rolling topography.

Question: You mention your disappointment about the flare in the 3rd photo. Is that because it's less esthetically appealing than the flare in the 1st one, which you don't mention? I ask only because personally I'm not turned off by a bit of flair in a photo and I often wonder how others feel about it.

Question: You mention your disappointment about the flare in the 3rd photo. Is that because it's less esthetically appealing than the flare in the 1st one, which you don't mention?
I think it's just that in the first one I knew it would flare, and considered where to place it (at least to some extent) whereas in the third it was a surprise the next day, when I brought the photos into my PC - which feels a bit like a lack of consideration/foresight on my part.🤨
I actually agree now that it looks quite nice!

Thanks for your thoughts! Much appreciated.
I forgot to mention that 2 and 3 were taken first from one spot, then 1 and 4 were taken from a different spot about 20 minutes later. You can spot no.4 in no.1 as it happens. 😅 That hill against the sky on the right-hand side in those two is known as The Peak and is quite prominent from both sides. It also has a communications tower/facility on top which I poked around a while back, just out of interest. Amateur radio is one of my other hobbies...🙂

That flare on no. 1 does it for me. Visually, I understand the landscape shown much better. It is probably a thing of perspective, and I find it pleasing to the eye. For me at least, the flare shown adds to the message you wanted to transmit. Thank you!
These are great.
The flare add to the atmosphere of those high plains scenes. I particularly love the layering in the final image.
Thank you very much Julian and Chris. Much appreciated!

I took this little set a couple of days ago. It was a VERY cold wind - the kind where you can't feel your fingers after a few minutes.
I'm not sure if the images look cold...? Probably irrelevant.
All taken with a D750 and Tamron 70-200 lens. (Edit: except the second - 24-70 for that one.) I didn't notice the lens flare on the third image till afterwards and was a bit disappointed - but it doesn't look too bad if you squint!
I live about 10km from here... but in a more sheltered spot. :)
View attachment 17676
View attachment 17677
View attachment 17678View attachment 17679
What was the temperature? Nice images hope your fingers recovered from the cold.

Back