Xmp Files - Have I Lost The Plot?

Lesley Jones

Otherwise know as Zooey
As some of you may know, we had to get a new PC a few weeks ago because the old one simply couldn't cope. I tried to copy all my Photoshop settings and yet things still don't seem the same. I remember seeing xmp files some considerable time ago, but I don't recall having to deal with them lately. I believe they are sidecar files that hold any changes made to the raw files. The thing is that I save any changes as dng files and delete the original raw (they are ARW from the Sony). My idea was to future proof the raw files in case there comes a time when the ARW files aren't recognised. I know dng isn't an official standard, but it is widely used.

The thing is, can I happily delete the xmp files too? I'm sure I can and the changes are already held within the dng file, along with a copy of the raw. I embed the raw along with a full size jpg. I do wish things weren't so complicated :confused:

Your understanding matches mine Lesley. As long as you have the 'Ignore sidecar “.XMP” files' setting un-ticked in the DNG File Handling section of Camera Raw Preferences, the XMP files must have been associated with your original ARW files.

Back