YACHT INN SWIM

Julian de'Courcy

My annual pilgrimage to the Macmillan charity Yacht INN Swim. A sea swim which is 1300 meters for the under twelve s and 1500 metered for the 12 years and over. I did not attempt this with the Merrill cameras as I needed to shoot mostly at iso 2000 which then would often bring the shutter speed to 1/250. I used the Olympus E-M5 which I have hardly touched since using the Sigma's. It is also my fasted focusing camera in the dim light. Managed to edit about 127 images which are put up on the web for the swimmers. Here I picked some of my favourites.

YACHT INN SWIM 2014 by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

_8290245 by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

_8290240 by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

_8290232 by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

What a great series and the mix of black and white and colour is clever. I am surprised of the quality of colours which are not that far apart from the Merrills. Now don't you ever say you can't handle people photography anymore, that would not be underestimating your abilities, it would be a lie.:eek: And i have to ad; each and everyone image is a great catch of carachters wonderfully done. I simply love this series, honestly. After all the Cornish come out of their shells when all the tourists are gone.

What a great series and the mix of black and white and colour is clever. I am surprised of the quality of colours which are not that far apart from the Merrills. Now don't you ever say you can't handle people photography anymore, that would not be underestimating your abilities, it would be a lie.:eek: And i have to ad; each and everyone image is a great catch of carachters wonderfully done. I simply love this series, honestly. After all the Cornish come out of their shells when all the tourists are gone.
Thank you Ivar. I see what you mean about the colours of the high iso of the Olympus. It is this event that I love to photograph and about the only time I feel I get something worthwhile involving people. I think it is the fact they have just swam a mile, take little notice as they have other things to think about such as having survived, plus I am standing amongst them as they exit the water which being so close can show as it is.
The set is here of all the edited images.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/juliandecourcy/sets/72157647065427752/

I have gone through all the images shown on Flickr in regard to this series and I stand by what I've said previously no matter how much you insist that you are not a people photographer. Can't go into every one of them, but...I understand what you say about the circumstances and I guess it is a little easier at such an event. Still, that should not take away the fact that what you see and choose to photograph is totally your choice and soforth the results of what you have done. Now, I also would like to ad that the colour ones seem to give more detail, if not to anyone else, so to me and I feel that most of them stand out a little more than the bl+wh, subjectively on Flickr at least. Great work Julian.

I have gone through all the images shown on Flickr in regard to this series and I stand by what I've said previously no matter how much you insist that you are not a people photographer. Can't go into every one of them, but...I understand what you say about the circumstances and I guess it is a little easier at such an event. Still, that should not take away the fact that what you see and choose to photograph is totally your choice and soforth the results of what you have done. Now, I also would like to ad that the colour ones seem to give more detail, if not to anyone else, so to me and I feel that most of them stand out a little more than the bl+wh, subjectively on Flickr at least. Great work Julian.
Thank you Ivar. I was actually this afternoon chatting to someone about these pictures who had swum the event. I detailed the process and surprised myself what does go on as the photo's are taken, so much, then just how at times something is seen and as if the world slows down and you capture something that is a moment yet have had time to see it decide to get involved, take the shot and know that a second later and it would have been gone, yet that process is still there visually in the head for each and every shot taken of the 200 or so and the decisions at the time, be it , dealing with the camera adjustments or simply remembering each decision for each person for each shot. Something I was not aware of until this afternoon, whilst talking about them.

Superb - the girl in the wetsuit really stood out to me - great expression

One last remark Julian. What you just remarked in regard to what you remember and how you chose to photograph it, is in itself "art" a great satisfaction to you and to many of the ones participating in the event. You have by that made yourself happy, also being happy doing it as well as making a lot of people happy. It can't get better than that. That's why I love people photography among other things.

Superb - the girl in the wetsuit really stood out to me - great expression
Thanks Chris, yes she has a presence. At first I wondered why all the swimmers appeared to have beards , men and women, then realised as with that pic the scum on the water gets caught around the neck and chin

One last remark Julian. What you just remarked in regard to what you remember and how you chose to photograph it, is in itself "art" a great satisfaction to you and to many of the ones participating in the event. You have by that made yourself happy, also being happy doing it as well as making a lot of people happy. It can't get better than that. That's why I love people photography among other things.
I'd add that this is quite easy in that the people are doing there thing and immersed themselves in their own activity which helps, there is also very little reference to me as I have what most might see as a toy small tiny four thirds sensor camera which helps a lot.

OK modest man, if you insist. I'll probably stand out with my little Pentax K30 then, since it is so remarkably able to cause a stir raising it to my eye. I gather that you also were situated in a boat on the water, from what I can remeber of the vicinity.

OK modest man, if you insist. I'll probably stand out with my little Pentax K30 then, since it is so remarkably able to cause a stir raising it to my eye. I gather that you also were situated in a boat on the water, from what I can remeber of the vicinity.
I was situated on a slip way just prior to the open Lido at Penzance. So I got squished a bit from time to time.Not a bad feat on crutches and camera bag from a shoulder. I did not get knocked over once but came very close to being so.

Back