Yellow Plumeria

John Holland

I started trying grow plumeria plants a few years ago from a few seeds a friend sent me. After a couple of years the plants finally started to flower. Since I started from seeds, there was no way to know what color the flowers would be until they bloomed. One of the plants is producing this vibrant yellow-white flower

Plumeria_14Oct-02.jpg

Love the shot! Colour and composition are very nice.
The only thing is that I find the black bit on the top right corner a bit distracting… the rest is great!

I know! I'm sorry… :(
I really honestly expect people to tell me what they truly think about my photos, that's why I do the same.
I hope it's alright and all you don't end up hating me :)

Thank you all for the comments/feedback - I do like to have the constructive critique.

This image was taken with a Canon 7D, 180mm macro lens, f/16, 1/250 second, ISO 100, and flash (I do try to keep the image EXIF data available). Processing was done in Photoshop - nothing special: levels, curves, sharpening, and some spot removal.

Lovely shot. I do agree with Asun on the black corner. The way the petals radiate out adds to the image.

Did you crop at all?

I am too, a very orderly body;) so the black bit is a little disturbing, but not much. It is as many have said, a lovely image and the yellows are so soft and you haven't apparently fallen for the temptation of too much sharpening here. Very well done and by the way; Welcome to the forum from me up here in Norway.

Thank you for all the comments/feedback. I can see where the black corner can be a bit of a distraction (it was not to me until it was pointed out, now I am thinking about it). This image as is, has not been cropped. But since the issue about the black corner was raised I went back and did two different crops to remove the corner. One crop retains the aspect ratio (3x2), and the other does not (just crops off the right side a bit).

Plumeria_14Oct-02a.jpg

Plumeria_14Oct-02b.jpg

Which one do you prefer? Original, Aspect Ratio maintained, or right-side cropped?

Superb colours and composition John...and to be honest, I think the "black bit" actually lent it some "place" rather than the more abstractness of the cropped images...

...but that's maybe just me...:-)

The black spot/area did not bother me, but the crop with out it (the one that maintains the aspect ratio - and hence the leading lines of the petal) is probably a bit more eye catching. This image will likely be sent to the printers - if I go with a canvas print, I'll use the original as the black spot will be in the wrap around area. If I go with paper (or metal), I'll probably use the first cropped version.

Thanks for all the feedback and critique.

Back