Calla Lily Zantedeschia aethiopica

Not my final entry but an initial concept shot. We managed to buy a few Calla Lilly blooms in Potsdam today and so I spent half an hour in the studio with some of them trying out a couple of ideas. Here is where I have got to so far..

Calla%20Lily-3_zps1chgspmz.jpg~original

The shot itself is very simple and was done by arranging the lilies on a lightbox on the copy stand and then using both the lightbox itself and the two banks of lights to illuminate the lilies. The ratio of incident to transmitted light was ca 2:1 (in f stops). The meter reading for the actual exposure was taken using a spot meter reading from the darker lily - ISO 50, 1/8s at f1:16. The image was captured using a Hasselblad 503 CW + 60mm Zeiss Distagon CFi f1:3.5 + 8mm extension tube onto a PhaseOne P20 back. The raw file was processed to a 16 bit TIFF file using CaptureOne Pro and this was then imported into Lightroom. Two process files were then created, one as captured and the second after conversion to monochrome in Nik SilverEfex Pro 2. These were layered in Photoshop (60:40, colour:mono) and the resulting file was processed in Nik ColorFX Pro 4 to add some glow and a border. Believe it or not, this is what I had in mind when I set the shots up. The reason why will become clear later. :)

Looking good, Pete. Lovely detail, and the simple composition is a pleasing one. I like the crossed-over stems at the foot of the image. Good natural-looking tones too.

Splendid image, so simple...but I'm afraid you lost me when I reached "the ratio of incident light to transmitted light" part...:-(

Back