Critique Welcomed Iowa State Capitol Building

Brian Moore

I visited Des Moines, Iowa recently for business and arrived in time to do a little sightseeing before sundown. Sundown comes fairly early there this time of year and I only had about an hour and a half of light to wander in, so I felt quite fortunate to find this area with some interesting architecture.

You're looking at the Iowa State Capitol Building reflected in the glass facade of the Henry A. Wallace Building, which itself has an official state function--I think Department of Agriculture or something like that.

Except for the bare trees this could pass for a warm summer day. Pictures lie! It was a chilly 20 degrees F.

Shot this with the Sigma DP1 McKillop.

Looking at this image again now, I realise that the thing I like most about it is the massive contrast between the two scenes. The reflected old style building seems painted and slightly 'other worldly' due to the distortions in the glass, while the modern one is so clean, sharp and clinically rendered. The thing that really seals for me it is that those trees in the modern world are bare of leaves, while the reflected ones are still furnished.
Great!

I visited Des Moines, Iowa recently for business and arrived in time to do a little sightseeing before sundown. Sundown comes fairly early there this time of year and I only had about an hour and a half of light to wander in, so I felt quite fortunate to find this area with some interesting architecture.

You're looking at the Iowa State Capitol Building reflected in the glass facade of the Henry A. Wallace Building, which itself has an official state function--I think Department of Agriculture or something like that.

Except for the bare trees this could pass for a warm summer day. Pictures lie! It was a chilly 20 degrees F.

Shot this with the Sigma DP1 McKillop.

Wow! What a beautiful capture it is! I liked it.

Looking at this image again now, I realise that the thing I like most about it is the massive contrast between the two scenes. The reflected old style building seems painted and slightly 'other worldly' due to the distortions in the glass, while the modern one is so clean, sharp and clinically rendered. The thing that really seals for me it is that those trees in the modern world are bare of leaves, while the reflected ones are still furnished.
Great!
What an excellent observation, Chris. I love it when people point out things in my images that I never saw. (Usually its @Pete Askew that does it!) The trees with foliage had reddish/brown leaves so I'm guessing they fell not long after I was there. Nevertheless I'm impressed with your keen powers of observation. Thank you.

That truly is a wonderful shot, Mr Moore and the reflection does indeed look more real than the real, or are we looking through some mysterious portal in space and time...

My, that cough medicine is powerful stuff! ;)
Thank you kindly Mr. Askew.

Er,...more cough medicine please...

Thank you kindly Mr. Askew.

Er,...more cough medicine please...
@Pete Askew look in the sky upper right of the image. The DP1 McKillop has developed a flaw in its sensor I fear. (And what I fear most is that the @Rob MacKillop 100% replacement/money back guarantee may be close to expiring. o_O) Didn't notice it when I posted this image but saw it in subsequent images. Only visible in blue sky. Seems to have manifested itself within the last few months. Seen anything like it before?

That's a competition winner there Brian - just so good at so many levels

What guarantee? What camera? I suggest it is you who owe me money (many thousands) for slandering my name! :mad::p

Just use a wire brush on the sensor, Brian. Works for me :)

Sorry to see it, though.

@Pete Askew look in the sky upper right of the image. The DP1 McKillop has developed a flaw in its sensor I fear. (And what I fear most is that the @Rob MacKillop 100% replacement/money back guarantee may be close to expiring. o_O) Didn't notice it when I posted this image but saw it in subsequent images. Only visible in blue sky. Seems to have manifested itself within the last few months. Seen anything like it before?

Hi Brian, it's quite tricky to spot on the laptop, but I see what you mean. It looks a bit like the effect you see when a filter starts to delaminate which is a bit worrying. I'm not sure what is on the front of the sensor stack of a Foveon chip. It would certainly be worth contacting Sigma about though.

As for the famous MacKillop 'lifetime' guarantee, did you check the wording on pages 67, 146 and 437 before parting with the cash?

Back