25th Anniversary - Top Gun

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
25 years ago, Top Gun was filmed in and around San Diego.

In celebration of the anniversary, the city of Oceanside laid on a showing of the film, at the Oceanside Pier, just down from the 'Top Gun House'.

web.jpg

This rather dilapidated house was the 'home' of Kelly McGillis in the movie - it is scheduled to be restored as part of a beach hotel development.

The city set up an outdoor movie screen, and had a jet from the old Top Gun base (Miramar) fly in after the National Anthem, and light it up with it's afterburners :cool:

As the sun went down, we sat and watched Goose and Maverick, and marveled at the 80's hair, terrible shades, and corny dialogue.

web.jpg

Sunset at the pier

web.jpg

web.jpg

Excellent Chris. I love this unashamed pride in such things. As you well know, we do not do celebration anywhere near as well in Europe, especially the UK. I really like that last shot, especially the shadows radiating on the left. Is that a giant Flamingo I can see?

Pete - it is difficult to go through a US national anthem singing, with flyover and subsequent cheering, without getting emotional.

I had the same feeling when the Battle of Britain flight flew over the palace at the Royal Wedding - immense pride :)

As for the giant flamingo, I think you've been smokin' something dude! LOL

Pete - it is difficult to go through a US national anthem singing, with flyover and subsequent cheering, without getting emotional.

I had the same feeling when the Battle of Britain flight flew over the palace at the Royal Wedding - immense pride :)

As for the giant flamingo, I think you've been smokin' something dude! LOL

this?

[video=youtube;OxdyrONs_Fs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxdyrONs_Fs[/video]

the royal wedding passed me by... but that was incredible i thought .... just for a split second it made me realise the scale of the event and what it is supposed to mean to me as a British person ...

Get's me all teary eyed when ever I see that clip of the Lanc, Spitfire, and Hurricane flying over - I guess it was instilled in me growing up, that these planes, and the people who flew them, were what kept us free during WWII.

Back